8. HAREM OF BEAUTIFUL EUROPEAN BOYS

"You realize we haven't hung out this like since we were in high school." Megan pouted.

I looked up and smiled "That's because we fell in love." I say and go back to painting my canvas black.

I steal a glance at her as she adoringly looks at her engagement ring smiling to herself. A pang of jealously ran through my spine and I shrug it off. She is innocent, she doesn't know pain and I don't want her to. Our friendship did not begin like they all usually began. We were in third grade, I stole her favorite pencil and when she accused me I made her climb a tree from which she fell and dislocated her shoulder.

"I never apologized to you for stealing your pencil or dislocating your shoulder." I say sincerely. 

She laughs "Oh God...That was so long ago, I totally forgot about that."

"I was a bitch to you."

"I think you still are" She chuckled and I laughed as well.

"What are we doing for Lunch?" She asks.

"Whatever is okay with me."

"Okay...Mark wants us to have lunch with him. You up for that?"

There is a pause, and then I simply nod yes. I haven't seen Mark since I came back, I don't know why but there's an unsettled feeling.

"Are you sure? You don't look so convinced?" Megan asked me as she saw my discomfort.

"It's just that...He is Jasper's friend."

"Jade...He's your friend too."

"Yeah I know...But" I take a deep breath.

I don't ever recall doing something for someone. I know I'm selfish by nature and people have always struggled keeping a relationship with me. But he made it easy, made it seem like it was only his job. And now that's he gone I have to learn...so many things on my own.

"You're right. I'm going to change. Give me ten minutes." I washed up pretty quickly and settled for jeans and a shirt that I had to tie in front instead of buttoning up.

"I'll never understand why you dress like that?"

"Dress like what?"

"Like you're a hippie." She comments playfully.

I shrug "Does this outfit tells you not to fuck with me because I'll chew you alive?"

"Very much so."

"Then it does its job because that's what I'm going for. Thank you for the compliment." I say smiling.

As soon as we enter the restaurant the receptionist gives me a nasty 'You don't belong here' look. She shows us to our table and glares at me "Good afternoon Miss. Herbert, it has been long since you visited us. The waiter will be with you shortly"

"Hmm...I guess I do look like a two dollar whore." I quip.

"What? No! Jade don't you remember? You set her hair on fire last year when she tried to flirt with Jasper." She said almost comically.

"Oh...That I remember. It was an eventful night." I smirk.

A moment later I see Mark approaching the table with the receptionist who's being overfriendly towards Mark, but the scowl on my face is because of the third person following them checking out the receptionist's ass, ROY. I try to maintain my cool, I glance around not meeting their eyes but there's nothing entertaining enough that I can focus on. People are quietly having their lunch; my attention is bought back to the table on which I'm sitting as Mark clears his throat.