12. BURN A WOMAN LIKE ME

I've been staring at the package that's lying on the floor for the past ten minutes now. There's no camera in the lobby so there's no way of knowing who delivered it here. Whoever did so, did it with finesse because it's not easy to get pass the guards that's surrounding the entire hotel. Our families that are tied together are not ordinary; the people our families deal with are not ordinary either.

The package doesn't mention from whom it is sent or to whom. From the looks of it, it is definitely heavy. I ask one of the bellboys to help me get the package to my room. I cannot deal with whatever is inside the package right now. I've got a wedding to tend to; I give a generous tip to the bellboy so he won't talk about it.

It's Megan and Mark's wedding day. I am happy, because that's what expected of me. I am told by almost everyone, not to make a scene today. Not to open my mouth, or try to enlighten anyone who I think is leading their life in a wrong way. I am told to pretend, to smile, and just act normal for one day. I can do it, I tell myself. For a single day I can forget everything that's wrong with me and I can focus on Megan's special day.

"Just one day of keeping yourself caged. Do not bring a tornado that would create a disaster today Jade." I say out loud looking in the mirror.

I'm wearing a light mahogany sequin backless gown, something I would never wear of it were up to me

I'm wearing a light mahogany sequin backless gown, something I would never wear of it were up to me. But Megan chose the bridesmaid dresses, so I did what I was supposed to do. I took the dress, smiled and said a fucking thank you. Giving myself one last look I stepped out of my suit, but before I can take another step, my high heels tangles with the long hem of my dress and I trip but I don't fall.

I look up half expecting it to be Roy who saved me because he has a weird thing of being in wrong places at wrong times. "I think all of this is slowly getting to you." Adrian murmured and helped me stand firm on my legs.

"Thanks..." I mutter and look around, there are no guards. He was coming to talk to me.

"Why are you here?" I ask him.

"You stole something form Jacob's office the other day." He cuts right through the chase.

"I do know what you are talking about." I say nodding my head yes.

"Stop acting like a child Jad..." Slowly realizing that I've actually admitted to what he was asking for rather than denying it he takes it back.

"I mean...I need it back." He says calmly.

"I don't have it anymore."

"You just admitted to having knowledge about it." He said losing his patience.

"I did take it from Jacob's office but I'm no longer in possession of the document."

"Then where is it?"

"Somewhere you will never find." I challenge him.

He takes a breath and lets out a little laugh. "I'm trying to protect you Jade."