15. IN LOVE WITH LUCIFER

Whenever I'm presented with a question if there's anything or anyone else I could in this life, who would I want to be? A tree, I say with sincerity. But they don't take it seriously. They tell me I could be anything, an angel who could fly, an actress, I could be the richest person on the planet. Then why would I choose something as simple as a tree. 

I could never understand their passion for things that are bound to make them at some point in their life unhappy, miserable and grotesque. The angel was bound to fall in love with Lucifer, an actress was bound to get hooked on a stranger's appreciation and the richest man was bound to be the greediest. And that's why I chose life, I chose demureness, I chose colors, I chose the bareness of nourishment.

I was a summer child, that's what my mother use to tell me to make me feel special on my birthday. I once spent my entire birthday sitting on a huge tree because I wanted to let people know how serious I was about becoming one. That's the only birthday I remember from my childhood.

Until Jasper came along, he made it an event I started to look forward to. Every year Jasper and I would try something new on my birthday, something that I've never tried before. This is my first birthday without him, something I never thought I'd have to live through.

I stare at the ring sitting on my finger that I found yesterday near an unfinished painting in the studio

I stare at the ring sitting on my finger that I found yesterday near an unfinished painting in the studio. I decided to spend the night here, to feel closer to home after Roy left. I toss in my bed as put my hand near the window so I could see the ring in sunlight. I don't think I've ever wore any other piece of precious jewelry except jade and jasper.

My cell phone is constantly buzzing letting me know there are people who would come look for me if I don't answer the call immediately and let them know I'm lying on the side of the road somewhere high and lifeless

My cell phone is constantly buzzing letting me know there are people who would come look for me if I don't answer the call immediately and let them know I'm lying on the side of the road somewhere high and lifeless. I get up with great apathy half walking half jogging down the stairs I pick up the cell phone as I smile.

"I've been waiting outside your apartment for half an hour now where the hell are you?" Simone yelled.

"I'm in the studio." I said as I made coffee.

"What? By yourself?" He asked surprised.

"Yes...I came with Roy yesterday to show him the paintings he required and then I just decided to spend the night." I tell him.

"How are you feeling?" He asks me.

"I can feel him here." I say taking a deep breath.

"Well...Since you ruined my surprise birthday visit how about I come over there and have breakfast from that little café you love so much?" He suggested.

"All right."