Chapter One

Chapter One

I sighed, tilting my head back and savoring the hot spray of water on my face and aching muscles.

Two fucking weeks without a bath and I felt like I had just hauled myself from the filthiest sewers of Tartarus. Not that I was even sure there were sewers there in the first place.

I scrubbed soap through my hair and over my body, listening to the sudsy water splat to the bottom of the shower and gurgle down the drain at my feet. I glanced at the clear glass door, almost expecting a massive dark shadow to be on the other side, only to be relieved to see nothing more than the toilet, the brass toilet paper holder, and one of Hades's books on biomedical engineering.

I smiled faintly, lowering my head as the spray landed on the back of my head, wet blonde hair framing my face as I looked down at my feet, watching the filth disappear down the drain. I took a deep breath and turned, shutting off the water with the press of a button on the waterproof panel on the wall. I stepped out onto the memory foam rug, grabbing a towel from the rack nearby to dry myself off as I made my way to the mirror.

I paused to study my reflection, frowning as I ran my hand back and forth over my stubbled jaw. It was a bit itchy, definitely more of a beard as opposed to stubble. I smiled, knowing full well that my daughter, Dania, would whine and complain about how prickly it was. Meanwhile, my grandchildren would have a field day kneading at it like a bunch of little kittens... And one kitten in particular would enjoy it very much, if he were awake anyway.

I decided against shaving, drying off a bit more, applying some spray deodorant and throwing on a pair of sweatpants. I made my way out of the bathroom, toweling my hair dry, only to pause at the delicious sight that greeted me on the bed.

He was a gorgeous splay of masculinity on silk black sheets. His hair had gotten longer recently, just halfway down his back down and the color of squid ink, so thick and so black that it appeared to absorb all the color around it. His skin was the native olive to Greeks, warm and caramelized like the glaze on flan. Sweet enough to eat. His body was an expanse of lean muscles and fading scars, his ridiculously long legs spread out on the sheets, toes digging into them as he appeared to be having a frustrating dream. His long dark lashes twitched over his high cheekbones, his upper lip pulling back into the beginning of a snarl, those long dark brows snapping down hard.

And gods, he was so fucking naked and juicy and delicious.

It'd been weeks thanks to this fucking war since we'd been able to do this. Since we'd been able to make love all night until he was so tired, he passed out immediately without any of his ever so insightful pillow talk.

And sadly, even in his sleep, he couldn't rest.

I strode over to the bed, lowering myself down onto the memory foam padding. He was laying half on his stomach, an arm tucked up beneath him, the other tucked under his head, fingers clenching in his hair, his legs twisting in the sheets and his feet pushing at something I couldn't see.

Once, there had been a time that my mere presence in the room startled him awake and he would nonchalantly pretend he had already been awake and expecting me, when in actuality, he'd been terrified of who was in the room with him. Now, he continued to sleep, because he knew he was safe when he was with me. Sadly, my powers did not extend to dreams. So all I could do was reach my hand out and lay it on his head.

He seemed to still at that, his muscles loosening up slowly, his expression relaxing into what he liked to call his resting bitch face, and I smirked at that, because nothing described his adorable scowl any better.

I stroked his cheek with my thumb, savoring the softness there. He sighed, nuzzling his face down into the pillow, his shoulder hiking up and down for a moment before he relaxed once more. I leaned down, touching my lips to his cheek, then his temple. He was quiet once more, resting as he should be.