Chapter Thirty-Three

"So, looks like you have to stay with Lucifer until you can get your place fixed."

I looked up from where I was seated at the desk in the corner of Lucifer's room. Ambrosius was leaning against the doorframe across the room, his arms folded over his chest. I sighed, looking away and reaching up to rake a hand through my hair. It fell over my shoulder in another wave of black and I frowned at it as it slid between my fingers.

"Yeah," I said after a moment, "Looks like it." Ambrosius cocked his head, his own long hair falling over his shoulder before he pushed off the doorframe, walking over to me. He touched my shoulder.

"You alright? You've been weird ever since... well, ever since the Shifter disappeared," he admitted. I blinked at that, glancing up at him, then scowling as I looked down at my work. I shut the journal I'd been making notations in as I read.

"No, I'm fine, just... Wondering if I should cut my hair," I muttered, pushing back out of the seat and rising to my feet. Ambrosius's face screwed up.

"Ew. No," he said, making me raise an eyebrow at him, "That would be too weird. Why?"

"Lots of shit changing," I responded grimly, "Wondering if that was something else I needed to change." Ambrosius studied me for a long moment before he shook his head.

"You don't need to cut your hair. Besides, you have a big change coming up in just a couple days, don't you?" He asked, giving me a little smile. I didn't know how to answer that, but I couldn't smile back. I was anxious. The sensation was a tightening in my chest, a twitchiness in my fingers, a swirling nausea in my gut. It wasn't necessarily because the change coming was bad. It was that the change coming was... well, change. Change that was within my control, yet not at the same time.

"Don't tell me you're getting cold feet," Ambrosius said after a moment, scowling now. I shook my head.

"Fuck no," I snorted, "What's it matter to you anyway?" Ambrosius gave me a droll stare.

"Because you're about to marry the love of your life, who will become my step-father," he said, then paused and opened his mouth, then shut it and shook his head, "I'm not gonna ask what that would make Thorn. I don't need to muddle this family tree anymore than it already is. Let's just leave it at Lucifer's family is joining ours. And it's about damn time." I shrugged at that, looking down at the journal on my desk, then looking up to stare out the window at the lake that settled between my land and Lucifer's.

How was this going to work, I wondered for the billionth time? Our realms were two separate entities. Our people, two separate beings. When you looked at it simply, it was supposed to be a fun celebratory step forward in life for the average person. Except I wasn't average, and neither was Lucifer. We both had realms to watch over, and we would still sleep separately and that still bugged the shit out of me. We'd still be separated. There'd still be space between us and I hated that. I hated the risk of putting that lake between us. I wanted to roll over in the morning and see that ring glint on Lucifer's finger in the sunlight. I wanted to see the sun pour over his hair, see him yawn and stretch that stubbled jaw of his. I wanted the first thing I saw in the morning to be his eyes.

How could we do that when we were so far apart?

"It still feels like there's space between us," I muttered. Ambrosius stared at me.

"After all this time?" He asked. I shook my head.

"Not like... It's hard to explain," I responded under my breath. Ambrosius frowned at that. He didn't understand what I meant, or at least, I don't think he did. It didn't matter because my phone rang and I sighed in frustration, holding a finger out to Ambrosius, who nodded. I picked up the phone and held it to my ear without looking at the caller ID.