Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Dane snarled and snapped his fangs, drool dripping to the floor as his claws seemed to almost extend like a cat's, scratching at the wood floors. Overheard, the birds chattered and shrieked, shooting for the windows in a flurry. The sound of rodents scattering and other animals ducking for cover followed.

Hades and I remained silent, glancing at Jesus, who moved up to the wall by the window, closing his eyes before he blinked them open and nodded grimly. He held a finger to his lips. Hades nodded, then paused and gestured with his head toward the entryway to indicate he was going to jump whoever came in. Jesus nodded, then looked at me and pointed toward where Menoetius was. I nodded, then gave Hades's hand a quick squeeze, wishing him best of luck, before I slowly backed up toward the kitchen.

Menoetius was still standing in the middle of the kitchen, his unfocused gaze up toward the ceiling, his lips parted ever so slightly. As I drew near him, I could sense the static in the air, the feeling that he was receiving a vision and was so into it that he had no idea what was going on around him. I clenched my fists, glancing back toward the living room before I ducked into the kitchen.

Joxeia had once told me to never touch Menoetius when he was having his visions. The severed connection could immediately wipe Menoetius out of power, or worse, lock him into stasis until one of the demon siblings could show up and snap him out of it.

So unfortunately, all I could do was stand there, watching Menoetius warily before glancing around the kitchen. There was an open doorway across the kitchen, and as my eyes trailed down, I spotted a spilled bowl of water that had been left out for the animals. I narrowed my eyes and moved with my back toward Menoetius, putting my arm up around him to protect him.

The hairs on the back of my neck prickled and I snapped around just in time to see a monkey go scampering across the table, shooting up into the rafters, looking down at me with beady dark eyes... eyes that shifted to something behind me.

I swung around just in time for a shadow to solidify on the wall right next to me. I punched without question, my fist colliding with the male's nose. The shadow slammed back against the wall with a shout at the same time a loud scuffle started in the living room, followed by Dane's snarling and barking.

The shadow immediately came back for more. I swung my fist, but it ducked and headbutted me int the gut, knocking me back into a bunch of cabinets. I snarled, grabbing hold of the creature and twisting it around so I could get it into a headlock. It bucked and writhed, nearly catching Menoetius in the back of the knees. I snapped the thing's neck before it could go any further and it went limp, but I knew full well it wasn't dead, so I scrambled to my feet and dragged the body toward the back door with the intention to burn the sucker, but another shadow launched from the rafters and body slammed me into the floor.

I wrestled the shadow off me, throwing it across the room, only to wince when the damned thing collided with Menoetius and sent him sprawling on the floor, unmoving.

Son of a fucking bitch.

I launched at the shadow before it could right itself, grabbing it by the front of its shirt and swinging it around, bashing it headfirst on the floor behind me. I jammed my foot down on the sucker's throat and yanked its arm up, twisting it until it broke, making the shadow screech. I didn't end it there, ripping the damn thing's arm off. Blood sprayed up in a jet into my face, just as I felt a tingle on the back of my neck. I spun around in time to see a couple shadows climbing in through a window, one of them going right for Menoetius, who was still laying still on the floor, staring up into the ceiling.

I threw my hand out and blasted the one closest to him back out the window, then using the arm I'd torn off the one at my feet to throw at the other one, who screamed and jumped away. I pointed my hand downward, stirring up a firestorm in my palm before I sent it into the one at my feet. The creature screamed and thrashed, rolling in a desperate attempt to put itself out. Somehow, the rest of the house wasn't on fire, and I silently thanked Father for understanding the need for a fireproof home when you had this many animals... and enemies.