Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

I didn't have such a hot reputation in Yomi.

First of all, there was the whole relationship I had with Tsukuyomi. His family had almost shit bricks when they'd heard we'd spent a long month together. So, in their eyes, I'd corrupted the poor guy and returned him in pieces. Not the case, but whatever made me look like a villain in the eyes of their people, what the fuck mattered anymore?

Second, they weren't stupid people. It seemed, as of late, whatever was wrong with the universe seemed to have a connection to me. At this point, who could blame them?

So going in as Hades was probably not a good idea.

Going in, however, as Hector, was a great idea.

"This is eerie," Yiuwa muttered, glancing at me as we made our way to Tsukuyomi's home. I glanced at him with a smirk and he looked away, clearly uncomfortable with the appearance. Rowan wasn't paying too much attention. He was looking around warily. He could sense the eyes on us. And it wasn't just curious locals either. Clearly some of the people around us knew we were connected to the current state of the world. Not to mention, something told me we had a few shadows tailing us.

There was no attack, though, which made me uneasy.

There definitely had to be a shadow or two among the people, among the dark corners, but nobody was coming at us. And what purpose did watching us serve if the Shifter was supposed to be hunting me down to kill me?

Yeah, something was up and I didn't fucking like it.

"Oh, I think he's cute like this!" I gave a droll look at our guide. Our guide's name was Ruka. He was a small little kitsune spirit with reddish-brown hair and little black sunglasses, even though it was cloudy out. I only knew the creature because he'd been a good messenger between Tsukuyomi and I after that month we spent together. He wasn't a fan of the gods, either. If he could do anything to spurn them, he'd go out of his way to do so. And letting me in was just a huge bonus for him.

"I am unaccustomed to it," Yiuwa said at last, still glancing at me. I rolled my eyes.

"What's so weird about it? You can change your appearance too."

"No, I mean... You look a lot like Joxeia when you do this," Yiuwa muttered. I tensed at that.

"Gross," I deadpanned. That wasn't what I wanted to hear. But I suppose, in a weird sense, I did look like him.

I glanced at a nearby shop window to take a look, and sure enough, there was an eerie similarity to Joxeia in my reflection as Hector. Long snow white hair, paled out skin, an almost delicate touch, but a pair of smartass blue eyes.

Yeah. This might be the last time I use Hector ever again.

We made our way through the main section of town and turned off onto a country road that would eventually lead us to Tsukuyomi's house. That was our first stop.

If anyone could talk to Tenjin, it was Tsukuyomi. I wasn't surprised. Tsukuyomi was a very reserved, quiet male. And, I wasn't blind, the guy was fucking beautiful. All long legs, slender arms, lean muscles, ivory skin, and hair as dark as midnight. He only had to look at someone and male or female or whatever was in between, they would fall head over heels with the guy. It was what had attracted me in the first place... Plus, he was incredibly smart and it was hard to find someone who could match up to me in that sense.

We'd had countless philosophical talks, even in bed, and I wasn't much of a pillow talker.

It was a combination of nostalgia and yet, something that seemed to happen only yesterday when I thought of first meeting Tsukuyomi. When we first met, he was still very proper, but there was an innocence to him back then. He didn't quite understand the outside world as well as he thought he did, which made sense. The Japanese pantheon was very closed off, very private, and not accepting of foreigners. They'd already watched their own people suffer once they allowed foreigners in, so the idea of doing that pretty much scared them into lockdown.