Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

There had to be a reason the Shifter was after Hades and I.

Clearly we were involved in the next step in the prophecy, yet I couldn't make a connection no matter the outlandish suggestions I made to myself. Skies of the god. Perhaps Hades was right, and it was referring to the fact that I had gone flying through the sky when I'd been banished from Heaven. Or perhaps it was Hades, because he was related to Zeus, or maybe it was Zeus himself, but then, why would the Shifter come after Hades and I? I could see maybe Hades, as a way to lure Zeus out, but what did I have to do with this?

The Shifter was hunting us down now.

It wanted us, and Menoetius. Meaning the Shifter must know we're involved somehow, yet it wasn't sure how, hence the reason for Menoetius. But what? Why? How?

"If you keep pacing like that, I'm going to trip you on your ass," Hades muttered. I stopped, turning to shoot him a dirty look. There he was, lounging on the bed like a serene cat with his legs crossed at the ankles, a fat chemistry book sitting in his lap and his phone in the other. He was strangely relaxed for having just been attacked. Even with half the room destroyed, he sat on the bed with an unfathomable calm. Any other time, I would see it as an opportunity, find him arousing. But at the moment, I was tempted to strangle him.

"Is this not bothering you in the slightest? Rowan knows how we're involved, but he insists on keeping it quiet, even after the attack," I exclaimed, annoyed with Hades's blaise attitude. Hades shrugged, looking back down at his book to turn a page. He appeared to start reading again and I was half tempted to slam that book shut in his face.

"Weren't you the one who told me to keep a calm head and focus on the task at hand?" Hades asked after a moment without looking up, "Right now, all we need to be aware of is that the Shifter is after us. We're involved, somehow."

"Knowing how would be extremely helpful," I muttered, walking over to plop on the end of the bed. I rubbed at my temples, feeling the bed dip, hearing Hades close his book. I didn't move, allowed him to crawl to the end of the bed so he was behind me. I closed my eyes, feeling his hot breath against the back of my neck, his lips skimming my skin. It was a welcome distraction to say the least.

"Like you said," Hades murmured, his arms coming around my torso, his hands slipping into my shirt, "We'll figure it out. Getting pissy is just going to make matters worse."

"Since when were you the voice of reason?" I ground out, feeling chills climb up my spine as his lips shifted up to my ear. He sucked at my earlobe for a moment, making my cock strain against my jeans, my muscles tensing.

"Don't get me wrong," Hades said softly, "I'm pissed. I want to break someone's spinal cord and play jump rope with it right now. Preferably the Shifter's. But you were right before... Letting shit get in the way isn't going to help us. Besides, we already have a plan." I hesitated at that, then nodded before groaning as Hades went back to kissing at my neck.

"Does it involve me throwing you down on the bed and making love to you until you can't move in the morning?" I growled. Hades laughed, a low husky sensual sound that sent shivers through me.

"Yeah... Except I better be able to walk in the morning, because come morning, we're going to look for Yhwhwa," he answered. I nodded slowly, then hissed through clenched teeth as he nipped at my shoulder. I spun around fast, pushing him down on the bed and climbing on top of him. Once upon a time, he would've fought immediately, pushed me off and insisted he top for the night. Now, he opened his legs and wrapped them around my waist, tugging me down against him with a moan. I leaned down to lick at his throat, savoring that smokey hot taste of him. I started to kiss his lips when abruptly, Hades made a noise of distress.