Chapter Five

Chapter Five

The tension in the house had thankfully lessened once everyone was settled in.

Michael and Xiphrus had somehow convinced Rowan and Yiuwa to stay for a night so they could formulate some kind of plan once they entered Duat territory. The realm of Hades and Duat had seen a lot of tension recently and it was highly unlikely the Egyptian pantheon would let a couple of Greeks waltz into their territory. They may not be Greek by birth, but they were by citizenship, in a way, and it put them on Duat's blacklist.

Meanwhile, Hades and I retreated back to our room to stew.

Because, I wasn't going to lie, I was pissed about Michael omitting the fact that he was blocking our contacts outside the realm. And it only reminded me that he had given approval to bug my phones. I knew Heaven didn't trust me, that was a given, but things like this still pissed me off, having my privacy invaded and worse, having someone lie to my children.

The temptation to simply punch a hole through this plan and go to Duat ourselves was overwhelming. Hades was on pins and needles, fully prepared for me to give him a reason for us to get out of here and take hold of the wheel on this bandwagon of bullshit. However, I couldn't give him a reason that wasn't rooted in my own selfishness, and he knew that as well.

So we remained silent as we showered and got into bed that night.

It was frustrating to get comfortable. Not just all the shit that suddenly piled onto our plates, but literally, the bed was on the small side, so Hades had to draw his legs up since they hung off the end of the bed, and he just laid there, glaring at the wall across from us. I lay with my arm around him, spooning him as comfortably as I could.

"You need to sleep," I murmured, feeling his muscles tense and rippling beneath me. He growled.

"Fuck your brother."

"I agree."

"And Rowan."

"Yes."

"And the Shifter."

"Mmhm."

"How are you not more pissed off about this than I am," Hades demanded, rolling over to face me and I sighed, rolling onto my back and resting my arm over my forehead, "You taking something and not sharing, because I'm at catastrophic levels of pissed here. Like, I'm debating just eating your brother's heart and stuffing Rowan's somewhere real uncomfortable." My lips twitched in a smile that I quickly masked in case Hades thought I was mocking him.

"I am pissed," I admitted, feeling satisfaction boil from Hades, "But there's no point in wasting my energy on it. Right now, we need to conserve. We need to figure out just what is going on. Why Yhwhwa wants us here, if it was indeed him who contacted me. We can at least focus on that much while we're here. And while I hate admitting this, Rowan is correct about keeping the prophecy on the downlow." Hades was silent for a while, still stewing, but he shrugged at the blankets and scooted closer so he could get right up on me, his head on my shoulder, his eyes still narrowed in irritation.

"I don't want fucking logic right now."

"I'm surprised. Logic is basically your thing."

"Not when I'm angry," Hades growled, his voice reverberating through me, "What if that fucker goes after my kids, Lucy? That thing already fucking hurt Theo enough. You saw him when he came back. I didn't want any of my kids to go through that, not again, not after..." His voice trailed. He wasn't going to explain how broken he was when he'd heard what had happened to Theo during his brief stay with the Shifter. Hades hadn't slept nights after hew found out. He'd laid awake night after night. Every time his eyelids started to close, they would snap open again and he'd start breathing harshly, like he did whenever he was feeling claustrophobic.