Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

"So they were after Menoetius."

I nodded, taking a sip of coffee as we sat around Michael's dining room table. Menoetius was still resting upstairs and Jesus had done damage control back at the sanctuary. Now it was just Hades, Michael, Xiphrus, and I.

"It makes sense," Xiphrus murmured, stroking his thumb back and forth over Michael's hand on the table, "Menoetius is the Key of Atlantis. His abilities don't stop when his role in a prophecy is finished. He can still see what is to happen next. The Shifter probably realized it could use him to figure out what the next step in the prophecy is." Michael nodded in agreement.

"That's what I was thinking. It means we should keep Menoetius under lock and key," he responded, making everyone nod. I frowned, though, stroking the engravings on the mug in my hand.

"My question is how they got into the sanctuary in the first place. You can't just walk in," I muttered. Hades shrugged, leaning forward on the table as he picked at his fingernails thoughtfully.

"The barrier on Heaven was breached. The barrier on Yhwhwa's sanctuary must have fallen too," he answered. Michael grimaced.

"If that's the case, our Father is weakened, severely. We have to find him. We can't leave Him out there unattended to. He's probably experiencing Recharge," he added, shaking his head as if the very idea disturbed him. I had to concur, because our Father didn't often go into Recharge. In fact, He'd only experienced it once while I had been in Heaven with Him. He was careful how He used His magic and conserved where He needed to. Knowing He'd been drained to the extent of His barrier falling around His sanctuary was disturbing.

"For once, I'm with Michael on this one," Hades said, making me frown at him, "If we find Yhwhwa, we'll probably find out what the next step in the prophecy is. Rowan can spew bullshit all he wants, but in the end, we need to know what the next step is so we can prevent it." Michael scowled.

"And who said you could come with? Our Father had you and Lucifer come here for a reason. I won't have His sacrifice be in vain because you need to feed your ego," he said, making Hades roll his eyes.

"Clearly we're not as safe here as you thought," Hades retorted, "Those shadows busted open a hole in the realm and into your daddy's sanctuary. Nowhere is safe anymore. So I think we should forget about the whole safety thing and get to work. I'm not going to sit on my ass while everyone runs around like chickens with their heads cut off." I glanced at Michael.

"As much as I hate to say it, I agree with Hades--"

"Rude," Hades deadpanned, but I continued talking anyway.

"We're clearly not safe anywhere now if the shadows can get here, and they obviously don't know that Hades and I have something to do with this next step, so surely there's no immediate cause for alarm. I say we report what we've found to Rowan and Yiuwa in Duat, then look for Father."

"I don't like this," Michael stated firmly, folding his arms over his chest now as Xiphrus got up to wash out our mugs, "I think it's a bad idea. Father had you both come here for a reason. We got lucky today that Menoetius didn't get killed or kidnapped. Or worse, he'd accidentally spill something to the shadows about the next step."

"I can't imagine Menoetius doing anything by accident," I responded, surprised by my defense of the former Titan, "He's very meticulous. He's also known for his incredible loyalty. He stood by the hybrid, even after the terrible history the two of them had. He stood by us, even when we spoke against him. He'd sooner die than speak of the next step of the prophecy to anyone." Michael eyed me warily, clearly not on board with trusting Menoetius implicitly, but I wasn't surprised. Michael did not trust easily.