Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Two

As if Tristan's house was even still standing.

Upon arrival, all that remained of the quaint little two story cottage was a crumbling framework on fire, the garden in back completely uprooted and torn to shreds. The smell of smoke was sour in the air, carrying with it burnt flesh and hair. For a split second, I thought everyone was dead until I spotted Lea struggling to pull someone out from under a bed on the bottom floor.

"Lea!" I barked, making her look up in shock before she nodded, then returned to pulling what appeared to be Tristan out of the debris. He looked thoroughly pissed the fuck off, his short dark hair a mess of ash that was also smeared across his face and those steely cold eyes.

"I'm seconds away from fucking destroying everything," he growled, making me snort.

"Good. That's what we need right now. We need to get back to the palace in Hades," I explained quickly, then took the phone out of my pocket, "I have it. I have the song, or whatever the fuck it's supposed to be." I tossed it to Tristan with a pair of wired earbuds, which he immediately unraveled and plugged into his ears. I watched him hit the play button and grimace, then relax for a moment. His eyes flickered and he jerked his head up to look directly at me, goosebumps creeping onto his skin as he nodded slowly, eyes wide.

"So that's right," I stated. Tristan nodded quickly, yanking out the earbuds.

"This is it. This is the song."

"Sounds more like noise to me," I muttered. Tristan shook his head.

"It needs to be sung. It'll make more sense. We need to get to the palace right now and get this over with fast or--" He was cut off as flames came screeching through the air toward him. I threw my hand up and caught the flames before they could make contact, snuffing them out in the palm of my hand. We whirled around to see a couple of shadows pulling themselves free of the rubble of the home.

"Goddamn it," Lea barked, "Don't these fuckers know how to die?" I looked at her, impressed with the language skills, while Kratos laughed bitterly.

"Hell to the fucking no. We're nearly impossible to kill," he admitted, turning to face them, "Fuck off to the palace, all of you. I'll handle the shadows here."

"There's way too many of them," Lea said, shaking her head and taking up a stance beside him, "I'm staying with you. Hades, grab Tristan and get to the palace now! It's time to end this!" Cursing, I took a step toward Tristan, who nodded and stood beside me. I didn't like the idea of leaving them, but it had to end.

Lea was right.

Now was the time.

It had to end now or never.

I touched Tristan's shoulder and we teleported from Atlantis back to the palace just in time for the roof over our heads to crumble and cave in on us. Cursing, I grabbed Tristan and swung him out of the way just in time for a huge boulder to come crashing down on my leg. I hit the ground hard, gasping out in pain.

"Shit! Hades!" Tristan barked, moving toward me, but I waved him away.

"Go! Forget about me! I'm fine!"

"You--"

"Fuck me, Tristan, goddamn! Find the Shifter! You have to--" I was cut off by a blast of magic that came careening across the room, hurdling right for Tristan, who cursed and managed to dodge it just barely. We looked up to see four shadows entering the room, cracking their knuckles and looking more than ready to start whooping out asses.

"Go!" I shouted at Tristan, who shoved the phone in his pocket and whirled to face the Shifters.

Damn it! We didn't have time for this! The Shifter needed to be stopped, but these damn shadows kept popping up like fucking weeds!