Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

Dearest Tsukuyomi,

It is with a heavy heart that I must inform you of my immediate departure from Yomi. I am afraid I had to leave with haste and did not have time to speak with you upon my leave. My heart bleeds at the thought of no longer seeing your face in our beautiful world, but fret not; we will meet again very soon, of this I will make certain. For now, I must bid you farewell and leave you knowing that your heart is all that matters to me in this world outside of the realm of science. For not even my beloved realm can explain how much I ache for you. Perhaps you have already known of this, perhaps you suspected, but I would like to confirm and confess my deepest feelings for you. It makes my skin crawl that you have been sullied by the Greek, sullied by the God Killer's mongrel. It is my hope that you see soon the errors of your ways. If not, at least hold with you that my love for you shall burn eternally, no matter what silly choices you may make. May we meet again on more pleasant terms, my dearest and sweetest Tsukuyomi.

With much love, your Tenjin

Talk about cheesy as fuck, I thought, but kept my comment to myself for once. Especially considering how stunned Tsukuyomi was as he read the note over and over again.

The note had been left beside a plum just inside the main entrance to Tenjin's fortress, because it really was a fucking fortress the way the place was decked out with enough security to put Fort Knox to shame. The cameras were all very strategically placed with invisible trip wires that would normally alert security of our entrance.

However, the fortress had long been abandoned, much to our surprise. Even Tenjin's note had a bit of dust sitting on the surface, and the plum was already getting squishy and rotten.

"So he's left," Yiuwa stated, looking put out. Rowan frowned, scanning the main entryway of the fortress, noting the same things I did. It looked like Tenjin had left without packing anything. He'd left in a hurry, but had enough time to write a shitty love letter?

"Are you sure he wrote it?" I asked, making Tsukuyomi blink and look up. He still looked surprised by the letter and seemed to need a second to comprehend what was happening before he looked at me.

"Ah, yes... Yes, this is his handwriting. It wasn't hastily written either," he added, answering my next question, "He took his time to write this... I... I didn't really notice. I mean, how he felt. I just..." He looked guilty and I frowned at that.

"Hey," I said, making him look at me again, "Don't do that. You aren't responsible for his feelings. He was too pussy to say something earlier and he missed out. Besides... Sounds like this new guy is better. Probably. Maybe. I don't know." Tsukuyomi cocked his head, the corner of his lip lifting a little.

"Yes... I... Find myself quite enchanted by Sin."

"Ditto," I replied, making him roll his eyes, "But like I said. You aren't responsible for Tenjin's feelings. He got it out there, finally, and good for him, but it doesn't matter now. He's gone and we're stuck in his big ass house." Tsukuyomi nodded, folding up the note and slipping it into his robes before he looked around the room.

"Indeed, but the tablets should still be here. According to Tenjin, trying to leave with the tablets will cause them to disintegrate, so I'm sure he's left them right where they were." With that, he led the way out of the main hall and took us down a short hallway that led to what I supposed was a laboratory at one time, but looked severely neglected. Jars and vials on shelves were cloudy and murky, some had bubbled over and left crusty pools in their wakes. Things were still sitting out, like beakers and vials, steel instruments, files and papers, but none of it looked particularly interesting.