Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

"You want to fucking what?"

Kratos's tone was anything, but pleased. You'd think someone had just told him they wanted him to dress in a frilly dress and riverdance.

I looked up from where I was holding my scroll with the details of what I hoped to do with the underworld now that the council was leaning more toward my ideas.

"City-states," I replied gently, because I had no balls to snap back at him often back in the day, "They're settlements based around a major city, which already exists. Several already exist in Hades and it would be wise to form the city-states around these. The city-states would fall under the total law of Hades, but it would still be led by the council." Kratos scoffed once, paused, then did it again and rose to his feet from the table, leaving his meal untouched. I frowned as I watched him pace.

"It's not a final plan," I admitted, "But it's a start--"

"A start to what? What are you even trying to do here," Kratos demanded, making me frown at his displeasure, "Hades is fine the way it is. The Council makes the rules and the people follow them, it's as simple as that."

"It's going to stay that way," I answered slowly, "Except the laws will fall from the higher power. The higher power, however, cannot make decisions without the agreement of the council--"

"You mean you," Kratos stated, stopping to turn and look at me, "You're the higher power here. You'll have the final say." I frowned.

"Honestly, I would be more of a liaison for Hades as Zeus has already informed me he will only accept laws that I've decreed. That is really nothing more than a compliance with Zeus--"

"We never comply with Zeus," Kratos sneered, making me sigh and avert my eyes, "That fucking cumstain can take his royal laws and shove it. Hades runs just fine the way it is. We have no need for higher powers nor universal law. We have simple rules that are followed and nothing more."

"Laws are required for civilization to establish," I argued, "The people will, of course, have a say in this as I feel it is unwise to make all our decisions alone. I feel it's more of a... democracy--"

"Democracies fail," Kratos scoffed, "They always have. The people have governed themselves for ages here--"

"People have been killing each other over a spilled tankard of ale," I deadpanned, "There must be laws in place to prevent wrongful deaths."

"Then perhaps idiots shouldn't be spilling other's ale, as well as keeping to their own ale and quit fucking around with everyone else's," Kratos snapped, making me sigh and look down at the scroll. Kratos rolled his eyes, then sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose before he came over, taking the scroll from me to toss on the table. I frowned, then watched as he got down in front of me and took my hands in his, squeezing them.

"I see you," he said, his voice softened and because I was a gullible bitch back in the day, I practically melted at his sweet talk, "You are here, Hades. You are enough. So stop with these political games. We have lived here the way we always have and we have always lived fine. Or rather, I'm at least fine now that you're here." I averted my eyes, feeling heat rising to my cheeks and Kratos's smile turned wicked as he leaned in close, getting between my knees so he could invade my personal space to kiss me on the cheek.

I sighed.

He kissed me again.

And again. And again.

Until I forgot what the fuck I was going on about. That was how it usually went in the beginning. Arguments led to kissing, which led to making love, which led to a period of peace that blended into arguments... which led to kissing, to making love, to peace, to arguments, and then the cycle started all over again. It was fucking toxic as shit.