Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

"Hades! Son of a bitch, Hades! Come back! Hades!"

My voice was hoarse as I finally slid down onto my knees inside the barrier, breathing hard as the lack of energy caught up to me. My muscles felt like rubber, my bones ached, and my back felt like it was still carrying the weight of my wings at full span. I looked through the barrier at the ring that sat on the floor, gleaming in the Aurora Borealis lighting overhead. My heart bled at the sight of it and I ached to hold it in my hand.

Son of a bitch. He bought a ring. Hades bought a fucking ring.

Actually, the more I looked at the white gold infinity band with the sparkling clear blue sapphire, I realized it wasn't a store bought ring. That stupid son of a bitch had made it. There was something unique about the work, something raw about the gem. I slammed my eyes shut and hit the floor again, weakly this time. I pressed my hand on the barrier, but nothing happened.

I cursed.

He was scared. You didn't have to be a fucking rocket scientist to know that Hades was terrified. The Shifter had threatened my life and apparently had come too close to taking it for Hades's comfort. He was going to try and do this on his own. I had no idea how he planned to do that, but clearly he had something in mind if he was confident enough to go running off on his own like that.

And now I was the one who was fucking terrified. He couldn't do this on his own. He may be one of the strongest and most intelligent people I'd ever met in my life, but even the Source needed help to keep balance in the universe, and right now, Hades was completely unbalanced and alone. He needed our help, he needed my help.

The Shifter wasn't just after me; it was after Hades too. And right now, Hades was unprotected, alone.

Another scream of frustration rose up within me and I hit the barrier again. Panting hard, I used it to pull myself to my feet. I stumbled over to the nightstand and dug around for my phone, finding it tucked into one of Hades's drawers. I swiped the screen, then made a noise of frustration to see that there was no signal. Of course Hades would take such steps to prevent me from getting help out of here.

No doubt our children would come to my rescue, as well as his.

So if he put me in a barrier, had he done the same to our children, or had he done something else with them? He'd mentioned they were also in the palace, yet no one had come when I shouted. Fuck, was this a sound barrier as well? I cursed, throwing my phone on the ground and stalking back over to his nightstands to start digging around for something helpful, but came up empty handed, which made no sense.

Hades was paranoid by nature. He always had back up plans. And back up plans for his back up plans. Forget plan B; he was already mapping out plan Y.

And of course, that explained why I couldn't find anything useful in his room. Of course he went around and got rid of anything I could use to escape.

When you get out of there... He said. That means he knew I would get out of here somehow, despite all of his precautions. It meant several things. One, there was a way out of here, I just hadn't figured it out yet. Two, he was really planning to come back. Three, he had confidence that he could get through all this possibly before I escaped. So what dirt could he possibly have that would defeat the Shifter? We'd already touched on all the corners. Tristan had to sing the chant in order to put the Shifter down for the rest of this universe's existence. Had Hades found a way to contact my Father? Had he found the chant? It didn't make sense. Hades didn't just do things like this without having some kind of plan or idea in mind. So he clearly knew something I did not.