Chapter Twenty-Eight

"How the fuck was I supposed to know what this place was?"

"It's because you never fucking listen to people," I snapped impatiently, then muttered under my breath, "You never have and you probably never will." Kratos shot me a dirty look, then looked away as another terrifying roar echoed down the corridor. It sounded like it was a good distance away, but still too close for comfort.

"We need to move and fast," I muttered, scanning the area. Kratos glared at me.

"Really? Because I thought we'd just stand here and flirt some more."

"Fuck you," I threw back, starting to move, only to pause when Kratos followed a little too close behind me, "Care to back the fuck up before I cut your head off?" Kratos rolled his eyes.

"In case you've forgotten, night vision isn't one of my tricks, but it is yours, and I need to take your ass back home to the Shifter anyway, so this works for both of us," he responded, stepping closer, only for me to step back again.

"Listen, you can suffocate in this shit for all I care," I explained heatedly, making Kratos sigh and fold his arms over his chest, "And don't give me that tough guy bullshit. You're following me because you're a fucking coward and blind as shit and, once again, without me, you are helpless." Kratos stiffened at that and grabbed my arm in a vice grip, his eyes flaring with anger, but I only barked a laugh at that, snatching my arm out of his grasp and moving a good few feet away from him, making him curse and reach for me again. Except he was met with air and he froze when he realized he really was fucking helpless.

"You can't bully me like you did before," I spoke quietly, but voice hard, because I was done letting Kratos cling to the timid helpless me that he remembered, "I've grown up since then, Kratos, and it's about time you fucking learned not to treat people like shit." He opened his mouth like he was gonna argue, except he stopped, almost like he was confused. He stared into the darkness for a full second, then cursed and grabbed at the sides of his head.

"Fucking stop! Shut up!" For a second, I decided I was going to ditch the bastard to whatever was tormenting his mind, but then he gave a low cry and collapsed to his knees and instinctively, I was going to him to grab his arm. He shouted and went to hit me, but I dodged the strike and met it with one of my own, my foot collided with his stomach. He doubled over in agony, coughing and peering through the darkness at me.

"You with me now or are you gonna keep being a little prick and stay here to rot?" I asked dryly. I had no idea why I thought I should take the prick out of Mialosk. The bastard deserved to rot for everything he'd done...

But fuck it all to hell.

I still remembered the stupid fun side of Kratos. The side that actually took care of me back when I knew nothing about my realm. Kratos had been the one to introduce me to the locals, the one who got me the connections I needed to succeed. He was also the one, shamefully enough, who taught me how to have a fucking attitude. Granted, Theo had done plenty to teach me, so had Cerberus, and even Charon at some point, but Kratos had given me the base to work with.

On top of that... There was no way for Kratos to know how to be a better person when he'd lived his entire life the way he was.

It wasn't an excuse; no. He was still a prick, still an abusive fuck, but there was a reason he became a shadow. Something that the darkness had preyed on to turn him. Which meant there was still something inside of him that wasn't the typical rotten asshole.

"On your feet," I said, to which Kratos grunted as he remained curled up, "I said get on your fucking feet, bitch, or I'm gonna leave you here to rot."