Chapter Three ~ Training

He stood before me, his white cloak of a robe moving slightly as he tilted his hidden face to the side, regarding me, "I'm your guardian angel." He said, his hands clasped tightly behind his back.

"What do you want with me?" I stood on an invisible floor, surrounded by an endless darkness. He had come to me, in multiple dreams now. He wanted something, I could feel it.

"I want to guide you, guard you. After all, I am your guardian," His voice was low. Something didn't feel right.

"Why don't you show me your face?" I challenged, my eyes narrowing as I tried to peer into the hood. His hands lifted to the hem of his hood and he slowly pulled it back over his head. Pale blond hair and pure black eyes met me, a sinister grin curling across his lips., "You." I breathed, my stomach twisting, "You're the man I met back at the masquerade. You gave me that fairy drink!" I accused, my hands curling into tight fists as I tried to control the mountain of anxiety that was building up inside of me.

"That's right," He tilted his head to the side, his dark eyes wandering over my significantly smaller form.

"You're no guardian angel," I bravely spouted, looking at him with distrust.

His black eyes smoldered with curiosity, "You are a very observant girl. It's not like I tried to hide the truth. I wanted you to see me, look into my eyes." I was frozen in place as his dark orbs bored into mine, that wicked smirk planted deviously on his porcelain face. He advanced towards me, his hand harshly cupping my chin, forcing me to continue to look into those black holes for eyes. A burning sensation fled through my entire face, forming from where his skin pressed against mine. It trailed painfully down my neck, my pulse speeding up as it traveled to wrap itself dangerously around my aching heart, it spread through my entire body, pulsating like fire through my veins and I let out a small gasp of pain, "Do you feel that Ava? That's your soul, it craves the darkness. Burns for it. You can't escape it, you can't escape me." His face neared mine, leering over it like a serpent ready to strike, "Try as you may Ava to fight it, but it's for this you were born."

~*~

I sat upright in a cold sweat, my breaths coming out quick and heavy. I ran a shaky hand through my damp hair, eyes wide as I kicked off the coral pink blankets. My bare feet hit the cold wood floor, my legs wobbling beneath me. It was just a bad dream I tried to tell myself, but I knew better. I shivered as his black eyes fled into my memory. I didn't know who he was and I wanted him out of my head.

I had retired to the chambers I had been given on my last stay here at the Lockwood mansion, hoping to sleep away the cruel emotions I had been distressed with, but that had proved to be an impossible feat. My hand slipped into the pocket of my jeans, fingering the crystal key tucked safely in the bottom. My hand wrapped tightly around it and I pulled it from my pocket, examining it in the moonlight of my room. I felt drawn to it, like I needed it, or maybe it needed me.

My phone vibrated and I pulled it out, my alarm for work was going off, signaling the hour of six o'clock. Wait, my stomach twisted, six?! Already?! My aunt would be getting up in half an hour and I wouldn't be there. That would only give her another reason to go on an Ava hunting spree with her army of angels. Yet, the world was dangling from a hook while I made my decision, and it seemed clear that I needed to find whatever this key unlocked. I didn't waste another second, I quickly crossed the room and dashed down the hall, having tucked my phone and the key back into my pockets for safe keeping.

Fifth door from mine. I pushed it open, stepping inside the softly illuminated bedroom. West lounged on his bed, a book in hand, his eyes attentively scanning across the precious pages. He looked up, a smile making its way across his face as he took me in, "Can I help you?" He asked, placing the book on his nightstand and swinging his legs off the bed.