Chapter Twenty-Nine ~ Blizzard's Battle Cry

"Don't be afraid," Morana whispered, her purple eyes holding mine with such intensity, I felt trapped.

"Step away from her, Morana."

My eyes flew up and Morana's head snapped back to find Killian - who had escaped from Envy, the same sin that now lay on the floor paralyzed by a crackling, purple, energy surrounding him - holding a blade of his own to Morana's spine. He took this opportunity of hesitation to take her hands, twisting her around so he held her firmly against his chest, the edge of his blade pressing against her throat.

"Release them, or your precious, little queen dies." He threatened the sins and Luis between clenched teeth. He shook her and she flinched as the blade made a small cut into her porcelain skin, a trail of blood running down her neck. The sins hesitated and so did Luis as he continued holding me still, "Now!" He snapped.

Morana's eyes were filled with anger and she flicked her burning orbs to Luis, "Do as he says." She ordered.

"But-" Luis began.

"Now, Luis!" She shouted, "Let them go."

I gasped as Luis' grasp on me slackened and I stumbled away from him, unable to look at him. He wasn't Luis anymore. Not my Luis.

Sloth shoved West forward and Illius yanked himself from Lust's grasp. Wrath let out a furious growl and the chain around Nigel's neck slackened. The werewolf lurched forward, breaking through the links as he dashed towards me. He moved in front of me, growling lowly at Morana, his ears pricked up in warning, his black lips drawing back in a snarl, revealing his sharp rows of teeth.

"Take the Soul Blade," Killian nodded to Illius who was swift to yank the crystalized blade from Morana's grasp.

Killian slowly stepped back towards the giant, ice door, keeping his knife placed firmly against Morana's throat. We followed, watching the sins with distrustful eyes. Luis glared at me and I swallowed hard, my stomach churning.

What had Morana done to him?

We slipped through the door and into the cold blizzard continuing to rage outside. Killian shoved Morana forward and slammed the door. He immediately lifted his hands and began mumbling under his breath, his palms glowing with a brilliance of purple light. A rippling force field grew over the icy door, sealing it closed.

"That will buy us some time, but not much," Killian shouted over the whirling winds.

We took off, running and slipping over the slick ice, pushing through the snow that pounded against our faces, slowing our speeds. Nigel's claws dug into the ice, aiding him as he pressed forward, his fur rippling in the wind.

There was a loud crack like thunder that echoed over the empty plains and I spun around. The door to the Crystal Castle flew open, revealing a fuming Morana.

"Run!" West cried.

I picked up speed, Illius by my side. My foot caught on an uneven bump of ice and I slammed against the hard surface. A throbbing pain rushed through my head as I groaned, rolling over. My vision was spotty and a stinging pain ran up my arm.

"Ava!" Illius skidded over the ice as he dashed towards me.

An animalistic cry broke through the blizzard's, lashing winds and Wrath slid over the ice beside me, his gigantic sword swinging towards Illius who quickly jumped back, the blade barely missing him by centimeters.

Before I could scramble to my feet, Pride was kneeling over me, his gray eyes searching mine with a somber expression, full of regretful guilt.

"Preston," My voice cracked and I shook my head, "You don't have to do this."