Chapter Ten ~ Follower

Killian  led us over hills of snow, thick enough that my legs sunk nearly to the knee. Apparently, Heaven was much closer to the North than I had expected. West had been right, the leather gear kept me comfortably warm. All the boys except for Envy had been able to finally fold their wings away, allowing them to clothe themselves in their black gear. Illius had his coat back, pulled over his leather jacket, it suited him, it was a part of him just like his wings. His hands were tucked into the pockets as we followed Killian. Envy trailed beside me, his wings dragging across the cold snow. He kept glancing at me, it seemed like he had a hard time comprehending why I would want to help him. Clearly, he didn't know me very well. I gave him a small smile as we trudged onwards. He quickly looked away, his black hair dancing in the wind.

"Over here!" Killian shouted over the building snow storm. He led us into the side of a mountain, a cave that went deep enough we could hide from the forming blizzard. A few minutes later we sat around a roaring fire that popped and crackled, sending sparks flying into the air. It glowed with a purple luminosity. Since we didn't have any wood, Killian had smartly built a ring of stones, then placing a large rock in the center, had tossed a fireball onto its hard surface. To my amzement it had lit up, emitting a warmth that filled the entire cave.

I sat on a larger rock positioned next to the fire, my hands tucked between my legs as I watched Killian sit Envy down, "Do you think he will be able to actually heal his wings?" Preston whispered to me as he sat down on the dirt floor of the cave beside me, stretching his legs out. He leaned his back against a smoothly, carved, stone wall, folding his arms over his chest as he watched Killian adjust Envy's wings so that they laid out across the ground.

I shrugged, "I hope so." Greyson sat across from Eric, watching the warlock work. West laid on his side, leaning on another rock. Illius stood at the mouth of the cave, leaning against a wall, staring out at the roaring storm of snow and ice.

"Relax," Killian told Eric as he examined the slowly healing wound between his wings. He took a deep breath before closing his eyes and holding his hand over the injury. A purple light emanated from his palm, a gentle swirl of glowing energy traveled into the wound.

Eric winced, "That hurts." He growled between clenched teeth. The warlock said nothing as he continued to pour mystical energy into the gash.

"This may take awhile," Killian said after a few minutes, "He's not responding properly."

"What do you mean I'm not responding?" Envy snapped, craning his head back.

"Hold still, will you?" Killian shook his head and drew in an abundance of warm air.

My eyes fled back to Illius, he hadn't moved from his post. I stood from the rock, dusting off the seat of my pants, "Where are you going?" Preston asked, looking up at me with his stormy grey eyes.

"I'm just going to see how Illius is holding up," I replied as I made my way towards Illius, my hand trailing against the dry wall of the cave. My heart skipped as I stepped up to his side. I stood silent for a moment, gazing out at the whirling blizzard that was so thick I couldn't see past the entry of the cavern.

"Is it working?" He spoke, breaking the silence. His blue eyes fell on me, his arms folded over his strong chest.

I shook my head, "I honestly don't know." My gaze met his, "Why Illius?" I suddenly asked, my heart pinching.

"Why what?" His chilly eyes held mine, he tried to play dumb, but I knew that he knew exactly what I was talking about.

"Why do you toy with me?" My voice cracked as the question fled from between my lips.