Chapter Twenty ~ Siren's Songs

My mind felt clear and open as I leaned over the side of the boat, allowing my fingers to trail in the freezing water, forming ripples. They were turning pink from the cold, but I didn't care.

"I see the shore," Nigel said, breaking the silence. I looked up and sure enough, not too far out in the distance, the Lake of Ice ended and the beginning of snowy mountains began, "I've never ventured this far out, it's completely vampire territory over there."

My eyes slipped back towards the water, my fingers still trailing through it. A glowing, light caught my attention, deep in the waters. I squinted at it and watched as it slowly grew in size, "What is that?" I spoke the question aloud.

Killian was by my side in an instant, peering over the edge of the boat and into the clear waters. His brows drew together as the light split into two and then three. I caught sight of what looked like a fin, "Get back!" Killian put his arm in front of me, shoving me back away from the side, causing the boat to rock, "Everyone stay away from the edge."

"What is it?" West inquired as he continued rowing the boat, a little slower now.

"Sirens," The warlock had barely gotten the word out when a shrill screech hit my ears, causing them to ring.

There was a slap as the tail of a fin broke the surface, splashing water in our direction. I could see them clearly now, circling around the boat, their long hair floating around them. "It couldn't have been a school of fish, or even a shark, no it had to be sirens." Illius grumbled as he reached for a dagger tucked safely in his belt. I gripped the hilt of one of my own daggers, my heart hammering with anticipation as they continued surrounding us, the scales of their pearly fins reflective in the sunlight. One by one, their heads popped up out of the water. My gaze met one with bright, turquoise eyes. She had sharp angles to her features, her skin ivory white. Her hair looked like it was spun from gold, dripping droplets of water that ran down the side of her defined face.

Her lips parted and the most enchanting voice I had ever heard rung through the chilly North air, "Hear my voice beneath the sea, feel the sound. Let my voice lead you this way, I will not lead you astray. Trust me, nothing is wrong. Close your eyes, sleep with me so peacefully. At the bottom of the sea, sleep for all eternity." They each joined in singing, harmonizing a tune so luring, I hung to every word.

"Don't listen to them! Ava, don't listen to them!" Illius yelled, but his voice was drowned out by their enchanting song.

"Hear my voice beneath the sea, feel the sound. Let my voice lead you this way, I will not lead you astray. Rest now love, sleep with me so peacefully. At the bottom of the sea, sleep for all eternity," Her eyes held mine and I leaned forward, someone tried to grab my shoulders and pull me back, but I shoved them off. The siren tilted her head, her two companions coming to her side. One with dark hair and skin with light blue eyes, the other just as fair with haunting brown orbs and fiery red hair that swirled in the water around her. They hummed, such a sweet tune and extended their hands out towards me, my own hand reached for them.

"You won't have her!" Killian slashed out with one of his knives, forming a cut across one of the siren's arms. They pulled back, hissing, revealing sharp teeth made for devouring unfortunate sailors. The injured siren dove into the waters, "Ava, get away from the edge!" The warlock shouted at me, but my hands were already reaching for the water.

I felt so peaceful. The lake called to me like a long lost friend and I had the urge to take a dip inside of its healing waters. The two remaining sirens reached out towards me, their eyes pleading. There was a sudden jolt followed by shouts as the boat was turned over by the third siren. I crashed into the water, instantly my head pounded from the shock and my body tingled.  I sank helplessly deeper into the lake's frigid trap. I could hear their calls, echoing much like a whale's would. Webbed hands clasped around my ankle and I let out a gurgled scream as they yanked me down, I struggled against them, suddenly free from their spell. I could see the sun rippling above the lake's surface, it slowly faded into the distance and a murky darkness surrounded me. The water became warmer towards the bottom and my lungs contracted, begging for air.