Chapter Nineteen ~ Horrible Thoughts

My eyes flew open, my heart pounding and I pushed myself up off of Illius' chest, eyes wide, "Ava?" He drowsily mumbled.

My breaths were quick and restricted. I looked down at my wrist, a jolt of fear running through me, "No," I breathed, clasping my hand around a thin silver band that refused to budge even as I pulled on it, "No, no, no!" I panicked, raising my voice, unintentionally waking everyone up.

"What's going on?" Killian sat up, his sleepy eyes landing on me in the rising light of dawn.

"Get it off!" I pulled at the bracelet, tears brimming in my eyes, "Get this off." I held my shaking hand out towards Illius.

His brows knitted together and West slid up beside him. Nigel and Killian examined the bracelet, "Where did you get this?" Illius grasped my wrist, his eyes filled with worry, "Ava, where did you get this?" He repeated, his voice urgent.

"I-" My words got stuck in my mouth. I swallowed hard, chewing on my lower lip, "My nightmare, I told you, I've been having nightmares."

Illius' eyes met West's, a silent conversation passing between them. West turned to me, running his tongue over his lips, "Are you telling us that you got this bracelet from a dream?"

"Yes!" I exclaimed, "Now get it off!"

Illius slipped his fingers under the band as much as he could and pulled, attempting to slide it over my hand, but it refused to budge, "It's not moving." He clenched his jaw, pulling harder.

"Ouch," I yanked my hand back, "Quit trying to rip my hand off."

Illius threw his hands up, "You wanted it off, didn't you?"

"Here, let me try," Killian took my wrist, waving his hand over the bracelet. A soft purple glow emanated from his palm, heating up my skin. There was a sudden spark from the silver and it struck against Killian's hand. He yanked back, shaking his hand out, "Dang! That thing has some serious magic in it. It defends itself." He shook his head in thought, "And you said you got this in your dream and now it's actually on you?"

I took a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves, "Yes."

He pursed his lips, his eyes flitting between Illius, West, and Nigel, "Someone is dream jumping her. I'm not sure why the bracelet, but my guess is that it's some sort of communicator, or worse, a tracker. By how magically charged it is, I'd say whoever it is has some serious power or some sort of access to that kind of power."

"How do we stop them?" West inquired, his brown eyes trained on me.

"I can temporarily block any neurological bonds they've made with her, but that isn't going to stop them forever," His green eyes met mine with a very serious expression and he took my hand in his, "But Ava, it's going to be excruciatingly painful and I can't do this without your consent. I have to put a block between you and whoever is messing with your mind, cutting lines like that can sometimes be traumatic for the victim. Are you sure you want to go through with this?"

 I looked down at the band that wrapped threateningly around my wrist and all I could see was eyes of obsidian and evil grins, "Let's do it." I firmly agreed.

"Are you sure?" West frowned, concerned.

"You don't have to," Illius sat across from me, his blue eyes searching mine.

"I need to," I sighed and turned to face Killian, "I'm ready."

"Lay down," Killian instructed, helping me to adjust so that I was laying in the bottom of the boat, each of their uniquely colored eyes peering over me, "Try to relax."