Chapter Seven ~ Submission

"Feathers.

Feathered wings.

Feathered wings and feathered things.

Severed dreams and corrupted schemes.

Bright beams, dark things.

Tangled strings and twisted meanings.

Ringing, singing, keep on breathing."

The words sang inside of my head, echoing over and over again like a chant and no matter how much I tried to focus my mind and push them to the side, they continued repeating. Incessantly etching themselves into my memory.

I felt heavy, distant and unable to move my physical body. I could hear voices, whispering. They were urgent, irritated, but there was a touch of worry behind them, "This has gone on for far long enough. We had to interfere." The voice was male, I'd never heard it before.

"To what avail? What do you plan on doing with her? You don't have the means to be able to bind her to anyone and even if you did, you would have to find her angelic soulmate." This voice was female, I could hear the irritability in her tone, "And he's been missing for two months."

"Better we have her than the demons, even if we can't bind her yet." There was a pause and I could hear him shifting, "She had the Crystal Key, something we have been unable to find for years, with this we can retrieve the blade and scroll."

Their voices faded out as I struggled to keep focus, but my senses were gone once more and the same repeating words filled my head.

"Feathers.

Feathered wings.

Feathered wings and feathered things..."

~*~

Time crawled by and I could feel my senses returning. I could hear the distant sound of footsteps, of birds and the occasional voice. A clean and pure scent like flowers in a gentle breeze filled my nostrils as I inhaled. I could feel a cradle of fabrics surrounding my motionless body. It took all my willpower to force my eyelids to begin opening, a flood of white light poured into my vision and I had to shut my eyes tight in order to better adjust to the light. I groaned as I turned my head, my muscles beginning to work and flex.

Slower this time, I allowed the lids of my eyes to lift and I blinked as my blurred vision cleared. An abundance of white blankets covered me, keeping me warm and comfortable. Walls were covered in white stones and a tall white ceiling hung over me. I attempted to roll over, pushing myself up onto my elbow. It felt like the bed was swaying, drifting like a boat in waters for a few seconds before my head stopped spinning. There was a throbbing pain ebbing from the left temple of my forehead and I reached up, placing two fingers gently against the sensitive skin and winced.

Gradually, I lifted the covers off my body and slid my legs over the side of the bed. I pushed my upper body up until I was seated on the edge of the bed. I swayed for a moment again before I shakily planted my feet firmly on the cold, white, marble floor. Gripping the bed for support, I carefully stood. I felt like I had been ran over by a bus and beaten on the head with a baseball bat several times, consecutively. Stumbling for a few steps, I moved towards a wall of large windows that allowed a flood of light into the room of which was empty except for the bed I had been resting in, positioned in the center.

My hand gripped the edge of the window as I peered out at the brightly, illuminated outdoors. My jaw dropped and my eyes widened as I took in the view. Pillars of carved stone climbed up to intimidating heights, forming arches as they extended from the colossal building I was positioned in, so high from the ground I could barely make out little boats as they floated down a river that ran between the pillars. Streaming towards an edge where it suddenly fell down in a rush of waterfalls. The greenest foliage I had ever seen worked its way around the river and pillars, forming forests and gardens that extended as far as the eye could see on either side.