Chapter Eleven ~ Carnival Horrors

Memorial Day dedication to my handsome soldier. May he always be safe in his journeys and guarded by my love.

~Red, White and Blue~

***

I stood in an endless darkness. My eyes darting around in fright, suddenly a spotlight of bright white light beamed down on me and my arms fled up to protect my eyes. The sound of  creepy carnival music filled my ears, the harpsicord tune causing a rise of anxiety to build inside my chest. The scene around me began to slowly become illuminated, I stood before a large gate with a painting of a creepy clown waving on the front and above him were the words, "Welcome To The Circus Of Hell!"

My mouth went dry, a crow cawed on the fence of the gate before flying off into the dark night sky, filled with twinkling stars and a full, looming moon. I was shoved forward and into the horrific carnival by a group of eager people who branched off in different directions, some towards rides and others towards stalls.

A clown on stilts with bright orange, afro hair and a polka dotted suit came striding down the dirt path, balloons in his hands as he cackled. He stepped over me and I ducked, stumbling back only to slam into a cotton candy booth, "Would you like some cotton candy?" An unnerving female voice asked. I turned around, my hands planting firmly on the counter of the stall. She tilted her head to the side, examining me as she held out a cone topped off with a fluffy clump of pink cotton candy. She had black hair pulled into two high pigtails and a black lipstick that curled from the corners of her mouth out into a sinister grin. Her face was covered in an assortment of piercings, her clothes, gothic. Her dark brown eyes wickedly laughed at me. My eyes slid to the pink dollop of cotton candy and my stomach twisted.

I shook my head and backed away, "N-no thank you." I stuttered. My heel caught on something and I fell backwards, falling through a large clown mouth and down a set of stairs. I landed on the bottom with a thud and groaned, my body aching. I pushed myself up from the ground, shakily coming to stand before a hall of mirrors. I flipped around, ready to retreat back up the stairs, but all that stood behind me were more mirrors, reflecting my wide-eyed form. My honey, brown hair lay loosely down my back and I wore my leather, black gear. My face was pale with fear, I turned back towards the hall and helplessly began wandering down it, eerie carnival music continuing to play around me.

There was a loud screeching cackle that echoed throughout the fun house and I jumped, slamming against a mirror with my back. I spun around, my hands planting solidly on the cool surface. I peered into my light grey-blue eyes, filled with panic and the mirror rippled, my eyes became as dark as obsidian and my reflection grinned at me, a leering, menacing, grin, "Run." It told me. I backed away, my heart hammering in my chest. My eyes fled to the rest of the mirrors, reflecting me, except for all my reflections were distorted into the evil image, "Run, run, run!" They screeched.

I fought to escape their incessant shrieks as I stumbled helplessly down the hall, I turned a corner only to find myself face to face with an enormous mirror with a silver frame. Skulls were carved into the lining, their blank eyes watching me. There was nothing in the reflection of the mirror, only a darkness of swirling grey smoke. A figure stepped through the smoke, he wore a high red top hat with a skull decorating the ribbon that ran around it, his outfit matched, a long, tailored suit with the word "Death," scribed across the back of his coat as he twirled around, his black baton - a large skull at the end where his hand held it - placing firmly in front of him as he came to a stop. His head was tilted down, hiding his features from my view. Slowly he lifted his head and his hellish obsidian eyes met mine, a nasty smirk twisting over his white lips. He raised his hat from his head as he took a bow to me, his platinum blond hair sleeked back with gel.