Chapter Five ~ Believe In Yourself

The bullet bounced off the wall, ricocheting back across the room. I leaned over a table, holding hand guns with tight fists, so tight my knuckles had turned white. I raked a hand through my hair and aimed once more at the large dummy. My finger tugged at the trigger and the gun shot, the bullet planted itself in the wall roughly a foot from the target. I let out an agitated growl, my arm was sore from the impact of the guns going off in my hand and once again, I was annoyed that I was performing less than decent in my training. I raised my other arm, gun in hand and aimed once more, determined to hit the dummy that seemed to leer at me, mocking me and my uncharacteristically bad aim.

"Remember to take a deep breath before you shoot, it'll help to steady your hand," West reminded me from where he stood a few feet behind me, Cyran at his side, Illius at his other side.

I inhaled deeply through my nose and slowly let it out through my mouth. I pulled the trigger and watched as the bullet penetrated the dummy's shoulder, "yes!" I exclaimed, whipping around to face West.

They all backed up and Illius pointed at the gun, "Don't just whip your weapon around, put the safety on at least please."

"Oh," I looked down at the gun and flipped the safety switch, sighing, "I hit the target."

"Barely," Cyran looked less than impressed, "West, since guns are your forte, assist the girl."

I avoided making eye contact with Illius as West came to my side. He took one of the guns from my hand and extended his arm, switching off the safety. The gun went off, firing in his hand as he smoothly shot from one target to the other in a matter of seconds, hitting the center every time. He then aimed towards the dummy I had finally shot in the shoulder and shot several times, creating a line across the dummy's throat. Its head rolled off, falling to the ground with a thump.

He turned back to me, placing the gun firmly in the palm of my hand. It was hot to the touch and I placed it on the table, my heart pounding, "I'll never be able to do that." I frowned, shaking my head.

"Only if you tell yourself that," West slipped behind me, grasping my hand in his as he helped me to aim the other gun, his finger slipped over mine on the trigger, his chest pressing against my back, "You can shoot. Tell yourself that, right now. Say it."

"Out loud?" My voice shook with nervousness and my hands had begun to sweat.

"Out loud," West firmly stated, his hand tightening around mine.

I ran my tongue over my lips, "I can shoot." I said. West's finger pressed against mine and the gun went off, the bullet embedding itself in the stomach of the dummy.

"Again," He allowed me to aim.

"I can shoot," I pulled the trigger and the gun went off. Closer to the chest, but not close enough.

"Again," his voice was softer and he stepped back away from me, his hand sliding off of mine.

I leveled the gun with my eyesight, my heart hammering in my chest, "I can shoot." My voice was stronger this time and the gun went off in my hand. A bullet hole formed in the dummy's chest.

"Right in the heart," West grinned as I looked back at him, "All you had to do was believe in yourself."

"Don't celebrate yet," Cyran's voice was harsh, "Drop the gun and give me twenty push ups."

"What?" I looked at him in disbelief.

"Did I stutter?" He folded his thick arms across his chest, his eyes daring me to try and challenge him.

I placed the gun on the table, shifting my jaw as I bent down, my hands planted firmly on the training mat, the toes of my boots supporting me, "This sucks." I grumbled beneath my breath.