Chapter Twenty-Seven ~ The Crystal Castle

I threw my hands up, annoyed, "The key will lead you, look for crystals, they said. Why can't it be easy for once?" I complained.

We stood on a frigid plain of pure ice that stretched on for as far as the eye could see. Winds kicked up around us, forming tornados of snow that billowed in the air. I hugged myself, my face feeling numb as the wind beat upon it. I sniffled, my watering eyes scanning over to Killian who held a ball of purple fire that radiated a small amount of warmth, lighting our way through the growing blizzard.

"We need to find cover!" West shouted over the winds.

"Look around you! It's all flat ice, there's no where to go!" Nigel yelled, his hazel eyes darting around, searching.

I shivered, "There has to be something!" The wind picked up and I stumbled, bumping into Illius whose blue eyes landed on mine.

"Over there!" Killian pointed into the distance where I could barely make out three, towering pillars of ice, "Follow me!"

We pressed forward, snow whirling around us. The blizzard was so thick now, I could barely see Killian walking a few feet in front of me. I raised a hand in front of my eyes, trying to shield them from the winds. The ice was slick beneath my feet and I struggled, falling behind. I grunted, the wind fighting me.

Illius' hand shot out grabbing one of mine and West's gripped the other as they helped to pull me forward, "Keep pushing, Ava!" West shouted back at me.

Will had long since darted back into one of Illius' pockets on the inside of his coat to keep warm and prevent himself from blowing away in the fierce blizzard. I tightened my grip on the Lockwood brother's hands.

"Don't let go!" I shouted, tears stinging my dry eyes.

They both looked back at me and the look in their eyes said never.  

The tall spikes of ice forming what looking like a castle were now visible through the snow storm. Just a few more feet. My hands reached out, grasping for icy handles carved as if they were meant to be there on the inside of the door Killian had opened.

I slammed the door behind us, shutting out the blizzard and exhaled, finally able to breathe without getting my breath taken away by the wind. I pressed my back against it, and sighed, closing my eyes. 

"Well scratch behind my ears and call me a puppy," Nigel exclaimed in awe, "Look at this place!" 

"I'd rather not appease your dog needs," Illius said before turning around, "Ava," He nudged me, "I think we found your crystal."

I opened my eyes and my jaw dropped. The walls, of which I had thought were ice, were made of pure crystals that reflected rainbows in their shining, smooth surfaces. In the right corner of the room, furthest away from us stood a large platform where a throne of crystal sat, shards of crystals jutting out behind it. Chandeliers of ice hung from the towering ceiling, candles flickering on them. To the far left of the room stood archways branching off into separate areas.

A strange heat emanated from my pocket and I dug the Crystal Key out, it hummed in my hand, heated with a warmth that spread through my entire body. The crystalized, jagged end began to glow with a bright, blue, light. The walls and crystals surrounding us hummed, filling the room with a buzzing sound as they too, glowed.

"What are you doing?" Killian asked me.

I shook my head, "I'm not doing anything, it's the key."

Illius had wandered to a wall. He placed his hand against it and sharply inhaled, gasping as he bent over, the wall's humming growing louder as it pulsated.