Chapter Twenty-One ~ Permafrost

Illius helped me to my feet. His hands were cold and we were dripping with water, but thanks to Killian, I was now glowing with warmth. I felt all fuzzy inside, like I was wrapped in a little cocoon of big, fluffy blankets. It was very delightful, but my experience at the bottom of the Lake of Ice shook me to my very core.

I had almost drowned. I could still remember the burning sensation of water entering my lungs, the way they contracted in pain, shriveling, unable to breathe. My chest still ached and my throat felt scalded and dry.

Two hands gripped my arms, spinning me around and I was suddenly pulled into a soaking wet chest of black leather, "I thought we'd lost you," West breathed, running his hand through my tangled, drenched hair, "Don't ever do that to me again, Ava. I swear, I'll never ever let you go."

I felt someone press up behind me, hands slipping around my waist, "You didn't just save her life, I did," Illius growled, his arms wrapping around me as he pulled me from West's embrace, but West continued to cling to my hand, "Let go of her." Illius warned, I could practically feel his heated anger, radiating from his chest. I suddenly almost wanted to be back on the bottom of the lake instead of squished between two demons, raging with testosterone.

"What makes you think she even wants to be with you, Illius?" West snapped. Ouch, even I winced at his harsh words.

"And what makes you think she wants to be with you?" Illius shot back, his arms tightening almost painfully around me, "It's her decision."

"Then may the best man win," West gave my hand a good squeeze, his brown eyes meeting mine.

There was a huff and snarl. Nigel, in wolf form came pushing between us, his wet fur brushing against me, "He wants to carry you Ava. We need to find a safe location to warm up and rest." Killian explained as he kept his distance from the irritated, demon brothers.

"I'm not letting him carry her," Illius growled, pulling me back.

I swallowed hard, trying to get my voice to work again, "I don't mind." I croaked, feeling more exhausted by the second.

Nigel nuzzled me with his muzzle, his hazel eyes politely inquiring.  I nodded at him and he bowed his head, lowering himself so that he lay on the snow. He was still half my height laying down and I gripped handfuls of fur, pulling from Illius' arms - hoping this didn't hurt him - and slung my leg over. Almost immediately after I settled, he stood. I towered over West and Illius, looking down at them with a fluttering heart. They aroused so many mixed emotions inside of me and I was a confused mess whenever they were around.

Nigel began moving, his muscles rippling beneath me, causing me to sway from side to side. He was warm beneath me, his fur soft as it dried. He came to stand beside Killian, letting out a low grumble in the back of his throat, "Lead the way then, werewolf." The warlock gestured with his hand towards the mountain that stood in front of us, steep and unwelcoming.

Nigel sauntered forward and my hands tightened, clutching him for dear life as he began climbing the mountain. He leapt and I tensed as we landed on a ledge. I craned my head back to find the others following closely behind, scaling the mountainside with ease.

~*~

We crossed over a hill, dropping down into a valley filled with trees, a low mist hung around us, preventing me from seeing deeper into the forest. The live trees with bright green leaves and brown trunks stood tall, aiming towards the heavens, each tendril of a branch, each individual leaf, trunk and root were covered in a casing of ice. We passed under them and I reached up, allowing my fingers to run across the overhanging icicles. One broke off, shattering on the frozen ground.