Chapter Twenty-Three ~ Plains and Stains

The Wailing Forest was near end. I had caught glimpses of shadows moving between the glinting ice, but for the most part, the poltergeists kept their distance. It would still be hours before the sun decided to poke up from behind the high mountains of the North, warming us with its rays.

The trees ended in a diagonal line across the mountainside we were now leaving behind, making way for the mostly flat land of snow covered ice that ran on for as far as I could see. Jagged icebergs drove up through the ice, cutting like knives. The ice glowed with a gentle aqua luminosity in the darkness, lighting up the expanse. I roamed down the small slope to the slick surface, completely enchanted.

"Welcome to the North, Ava," Killian appeared at my side, "These are the Northern Plains."

A grin grew over my face as I ducked, passing through a little archway formed by the icebergs, "It's gorgeous." I took a confident stride forward and nearly slipped, gripping the sleek surface of a nearby chunk of ice in order to catch myself. Will had taken off, dashing around the icebergs and whirling around, oblivious to everything except his keen sense of curiosity. He reminded me of myself.

"Watch your step, the ice is thin in some places and we don't need someone falling and breaking their skull open," The warlock warned, his green eyes filled with awe as they slid over the beautiful ice formations.

Nigel warily stepped out onto the ice, his paws gripping it with surprising ease. His hazel eyes met mine and he padded towards me, nudging my side with his muzzle. West strolled towards me, giving Nigel a fleeting glance before his dark brown eyes wandered to mine, "Walk with me," He took my hand, pulling me away from the werewolf's prodding nose. West pulled me around the corner of an iceberg and down through a small tunnel carved by water and sun. He came to an abrupt stop, turning to face me, his brown eyes somber, "It's beautiful, isn't it?" He asked, his lips parting as his eyes traveled over me.

"The ice?" I gazed at the smooth walls of the tunnel, "Yeah, it is."

"No, not the ice." He gave me a half smile, lifting only one corner of his lips, "What you do. What you're doing for your family, for your friend. You're out here risking your life just so that they can have the future you see for them."

"I have to find my parents first before they can have any kind of future," I said, my eyes dropping to my black boots.

"You will find them, Ava. Why do you doubt yourself?" He took a step closer to me, his hands tucked into the pockets of his black, leather jacket. I sighed, reluctant to answer, "Stop it. There's no reason to. You are more human then I will ever be. You have a loving heart, you don't give up and the best of all, that curious little mind of yours."

I shook my head, "That curious little mind of mine is what gets me into trouble."

"What's life without a bit of danger?" He gave me a comforting smile, raking a hand through his chocolate brown hair, "Besides, if it weren't for your sense of trouble, I would have never met you. Now that, in and of itself, would be unthinkable." Will came whooshing through the tunnel, zipping around me and then floating beside my head, "Wisps are pure energy sources. They may lead travelers off their original paths, but that's only because they're trying to take them to a better one. They don't just cling to anyone, especially Oblivions, but it seems like you're the exception in Will's case."

Will smiled at West, "Ava," he chimed and my eyes went wide, "Oh, Ava!"

"You can talk?" I looked at it with wide eyes. He nodded and then got a confused look on his face and shook his head, "Is that a yes or a no?" 

 "Wisps don't usually speak at all," West watched the little wisp, "Mostly, they speak telepathically with themselves."

Will spun in a circle, his happy face suddenly replaced by fear. He darted behind my back, I could feel him shaking against me, "Will, what's wrong?"