Chapter Four ~ Melodies

His eyes held mine as I sat over him, the tip of my dagger brushing against the skin of his throat. There was such a heated desire behind them. He reached up, gently grasping my wrists, taken off guard, he shoved me over - knocking the dagger from my hand - it skidded across the mat and my back slammed down with force. He held my wrists down above my head, sitting over me, his blue eyes intensely watching mine. He leaned down, his lips brushing against my ear, "I win." Illius uttered, "Don't ever let your guard down." 

Heat spread from everywhere he touched and I turned my head, my eyes falling on West who stood at the edge of the mat, an unreadable expression on his face, "I think that's enough." He growled, looking none too pleased by Illius' actions.

Illius stood, extending a hand out to me of which I gratefully took. He hauled me to my feet, his other hand trailing up my arm, sending tickling sensations running up it as I came to stand before him, "You're a quick learner," He complimented, his eyes searching mine for something. Whatever he was looking for, he must have found it because his lips formed into a boyish smile and he let out a huff of a laugh.

"I believe that's lesson concluded for today," Cyran shook his head at me, a smile of unbelief on his face, "Remarkable."

"What is?" I questioned, breaking from Illius and turning nervously towards the battle instructor, tucking my hands into the back pockets of my jeans.

"Your talent for combat," He continued leaning against his kali, "I have never trained anyone who learns as quickly as you do. It's an honor to train you Ava Meyer." He stepped towards me and shook my hand, "Training continues tomorrow, I look forward to seeing what else you are capable of." He turned and headed for the door, pausing as he swung it open, looking back at me, "Take care of yourself." He said before exiting the room.

I bit my bottom lip, running a hand up and down my arm and turned towards the two Lockwood brothers, "I think I've made a new collection," I made a half smile, "Of bruises." I groaned.

~*~

I sat in the library, consumed in a pile of books and soaking in the information inked onto their delicate pages. I had taken a shower, much to my enjoyment and curled up in one of the many separate rooms of the library, engulfed in a book on demons. I had just flipped a page when the sound of music floated into my ears. I looked up from my book, listening closer. It was piano, very distant but still distinct enough that I could pick it out. I set the book down on a nearby surface and padded my way through the enormous library. Stepping into the hall, I let the door softly close behind me.

The sweet keys playing in the distance had become louder and I followed their sound, drawn by curiosity through an archway and into a room just down the hall from the library that had a white, grand piano positioned in the center. There was an assortment of instruments on shelves or sitting around the room, such as a harp, cello, and many other beautifully shiny apparatuses. The melody of the piano filled the room, warming its way into my heart. I wandered forward until I could see the front of the piano, where seated on a bench was Illius. I placed a hand on top of the piano, feeling the vibrations of the strings as they played, my heart touched, "I didn't know you could play the piano." I smiled.

The music came to an abrupt stop as he looked up at me, startled, "What are you doing here?" He looked self-conscious, which surprised me.

"I could hear it from the library and got curious," I admitted, letting my fingers trail across the wood of the piano as I stepped closer to him, "It's beautiful, the way you play."

He looked away, his ears becoming pink, which only made my smile grow, "My mother taught me." There was sorrow behind his voice as he spoke of her.