Chapter Fourteen ~ Beautiful But Cold

I could feel Illius' chest rise and fall against my back with anger and the tension of West's muscles as he stood in front of me. My eyes slowly traveled up to meet West's, "Please," My voice was barely more than a whisper and I shivered as Illius' breath caressed against my neck, "He's your brother."

West's eyes fell and he clenched his jaw, stepping away and angrily running a hand down his face. The door to the weaponry room burst open, slamming against the stone wall and Killian stepped through, shortly followed after by Nigel, "What in the devil is going on in here?!" The warlock exclaimed, his eyes dashing between Illius who was pressed against the wall with a bloody lip and a blackening eye, me who stood guardedly before him, and West who continued to battle with his inner emotions a few steps away from us, "Can't take you people anywhere, can I?" His annoyed expression suddenly turned into amusement and he let out a chuckle, "You boys crack me up. What with the jealousy raging between you two and all."

Nigel slipped past Killian, his large form seeming to shrink the room as he came to stand in the once spacious area. He took a deep breath, his anger now under control, "Since your arrival, there has been more than enough contention. I believe something joyous is in order, a feast tonight, perhaps? As a form of apology and to make amends. The last thing the werewolves want is rough terms between demons, there's already plenty of that with the vampires. What do you say?" His eyes landed on Illius, "Put the past behind us, for tonight at the very least?"

Illius pushed past me, wiping blood from his lip, "Well," He looked around the room from one person to another, "Tell me I'm not the only one who is as hungry as a wolf."

"Around here, that's a literal expression," Nigel grinned, a toothy smile that sent chills running down my spine. It surprised me that he was so easily putting the history between Illius and his people behind and it made me wary, "You are welcome to spend the night here. No one should be out in the darkness of the north."

West was still seething and he shoved past Illius, ramming him in the shoulder before stepping past Nigel and Killian, disappearing down the hall. I moved to go after him, but Killian placed his hand on my shoulder, "Ava," He lowered his voice, "You can't coddle both of them. It doesn't work that way. It's one or the other."

My eyes fell to the floor and I felt a twinge of guilt run through me. Why shouldn't I be able to help them both? They both had so much pain locked up inside of themselves, and I felt that if I could just reach out, I could brush away that pain. I turned and focused on Illius, his blue orbs studied mine, a bruise of blues, purples, and blacks building on his cheekbone and just below his right eye. He watched me and I gazed back at him. I moved towards him, "Are you okay?" I asked, reaching up to gently touch his bruise.

He winced and pulled back, "I'm fine." He coldly said causing my heart to sink.

"Ava," Nigel strongly addressed me, "Under my vow of protection, you are free to roam the village and not come to any harm. I would not advise for the demons to do the same, but I can't stop them either." He gave me a nod before exiting the room, his heavy fur boots brushing against the stone floor.

"I suppose that's my cue to leave as well," Killian gave me one final look before slipping out of the room and after Nigel.

My eyes flitted back to Illius and my stomach twisted, "Maybe we should get some ice for that..." I trailed off.

"I could just as easily go bury my face in the snow," He gave me a lopsided half-smile.

I let out a small laugh, but my face quickly fell as my mind turned to the wedge that was gradually building between the two brothers, "I'm sorry." I sighed, my heart feeling heavy, "I don't mean to-"