Chapter Twenty-Six ~ The Lies Build Up

Illius supported Nigel as they stumbled out of the vampire fortress, Killian and West by his side. Bitter northern winds hit their faces, causing them to shiver. Nigel's entire back was covered in burns, markings from the torture the vampires had put him through in order to make him change into his mortal form. West, except his now healing cut up the side of the face, was otherwise unharmed, besides the fact that he kept tilting from one side to the other. Apparently, the kindred had to drug him in order to get him into their revolting prison cells.

Killian, on the other hand, had a massive migraine and a bump that had formed on the back of his head from where he had smacked it. It seemed to Illius, that hitting his head had only made him more annoying, if that was even possible.

Vahara was up to something. She would never have so easily given up and allowed them to leave with not so much as a blink in their direction. She wanted to play a game, but what kind of game? If it was what Illius thought it was, they were all in trouble. Vahara was not one to back down, not without the biggest show of a fight anyone could put on. She wanted Ava and her power and if there was one thing Illius knew about her, it was that she never gave up on power. She craved it, fawned after it as if it were a vital life source.

"How did you get into the fortress, free us and get us all out on your own? Something doesn't add up here," Killian felt with two fingers the bump on his head and winced, "Where is Ava?" He looked about in a state of sudden panic, "I knew you were a jerk, but did you really leave her in there?" He gestured with his hand towards the fortress of ice and stone that was gradually fading into the distance.

Illius rolled his eyes, gritting his teeth. He had almost completely forgotten about the angel he needed to get back into the orb. He couldn't very well let them see Cael, that wasn't a situation Illius wanted to be found in. He sighed, "Ava is safe. She's... somewhere out here." He blinked hard. What if Cael had hidden her and he wasn't able to find her? Best not to think about it. The angel had to do his bidding. He silently wondered if commanding the angelic being worked through thoughts.

Hey, Cael, angel of my living Hell, where for art thou?  Illius mentally chuckled, not expecting an answer.

Are you seriously telepathically insulting me?  Cael's voice came ringing loudly into Illius' mind.

You can hear me? Illius thought.

Unfortunately. Cael sarcastically replied.

Good, where are you? 

Why would I tell you? Cael uncooperatively countered. You're just going to stick me back in that orb and continue trying to woo Ava into your twistedly, demonic, clutch.

You have a very imaginative mind, you know that? Besides, you don't have a choice. Tell me where you are. Illius demanded.

Screw you, demon! Cael spat. We're just around that giant iceberg to your right. He blurted, unable to stop himself. You just wait until the tables have turned. Then I really will be making your life a living Hell.

Illius rolled his eyes and guided Nigel, his brother and the warlock close behind, to a nearby, small block of ice, "Stay here," He ordered, propping the weak werewolf up against the ice, "I will get Ava." He spun around and sauntered towards the gigantic iceberg Cael had said they were behind before any of them could question his actions.

He rounded the hunk of ice, his eyes landing on Ava. Color had returned to her features and she now looked as though she peacefully slept amongst the snow. Cael sat next to her and his head snapped up to meet Illius' cold, blue eyes.