Chapter Eighteen ~ Dark Waltz

(Sneak peak of the bedroom mentioned later in the chapter above ^)

Nigel led us down a side of the mountain, climbing down rocks and ledges covered in snow. Tinzezim followed after, his huge feet clinging to the edges, slipping on rocks that caused small avalanches of snow to roll down towards us.

"Tinzezim! Quit it! You're going to bury us in snow and kill us!" Nigel shouted, shaking his head, wet droplets flying from his hair due to the snow that fell from the grey clouds above, pounding down on us and adding to the difficultly of our decent. The Yeti looked down at him, grunting, an apologetic look on his face, "I know you're afraid of heights, but I need your help!" He yelled over the whipping winds. The Yeti opened his mouth, letting out a roar in complaint, "Oh shut up and get down here," Nigel said as he leapt from a ledge, landing on the icy ground in a crouched position, the Lake of Ice only a few feet away.

I swallowed hard, looking up at the Yeti in pity, "I know how you feel big guy," I gave him a reassuring smile and his black lips curled back, revealing his deathly teeth in what I was sure was an attempt to smile back, but for some reason it was just sort of terrifying.

I carefully slid to the bottom, standing and adjusting my jacket as I moved towards Killian who stood beside Nigel. The two Lockwood brothers followed closely behind me, the Yeti groaned as he stepped hesitantly on the ice, "What, are you afraid?" Nigel gave Tinzezim a frustrated look. The Yeti whined, tiptoeing towards Nigel causing him to roll his eyes.

"You better actually have a way to cross this lake, because I'm not doggy paddling," Illius sarcastically retorted, a mocking smirk spreading over his lips.

Nigel shifted his jaw, his hazel eyes boring into Illius with despise, "What did I say about those dog jokes?" He spun towards Tinzezim, "Pull the boat out." He ordered.

The Yeti groaned, his shoulders sagging, but did as he was told. His nose sniffed the air as he leisurely dragged his feet across the lightly snow covered ice and towards a boulder that sat against the wall of a cliff hanging over the lake. He grunted and grumbled as he pushed with all his body weight, rolling the hunk of rock to the side, revealing a hidden cave. He disappeared inside and we all watched silently until he reappeared, dragging a long wooden canoe out with oars tucked safely inside.

"A boat," Killian acknowledged, his arms folded over his chest, "Not bad."

"I told you I'd get you across," Nigel sauntered towards the canoe, grabbing a rope, wrapping it around his hand a couple times before heaving it towards the rushing waters, "I can take it from here Tinzezim." The Yeti let out a frustrated sound and threw his arms in the air, discouraged. He came to a stop, the canoe several feet away from the end of the ice and the beginning of the freezing waters. West helped him push it into the waters, Nigel continuing to hold fast to the rope in order to ensure the boat didn't float away, "Well, we don't have all day. Get in."

Illius looked back at me, gesturing towards the floating craft of wood, "Ladies first."

"How kind of you," I sarcastically frowned, strolling towards it. I gripped the edge and it rocked back and forth with the waves. I swallowed hard, my stomach twisting with anxiety.

"Well, what are you waiting for?" Killian regarded me, amused.

I bit my bottom lip and hesitantly lifted one leg in, the canoe rocked and I rolled over the side, landing against the bottom on my back. I scrambled to sit up, my nerves tensing, "It rocks, a lot." I placed a hand against my tummy, beginning to feel nauseous and I let out a groan.

"You're not going to be sick are you?" Killian asked as he crawled into the boat, causing it to sway even more.

I shook my head, feeling tingly and dizzy, "Possibly."