Divergent in Disney

Chapter 19

Tris POV

I sit up and look around. I'm the only one in the room. "Hello?" I call.

Christina walks out of a room and smiles at me, "My mom paid the ransom! I can go home!"

I raise my eye brows, "Does that mean everyone paid? We're leaving!"

Christina shrugs, "I don't know about you. I don't think your parents paid yet."

"I thought none of us could go home until all the money was paid."

"Oh well. Good luck, Tris."

I want to run to her. To plead with her not to leave me alone. But I can't move. I'm frozen as I watch her leave. Then I'm running around the place, looking for someone. Anyone. But I'm alone.

My parents didn't pay the ransom. I'm still here!

Why am I still here?!

"Tris!"

I gasp and sit up. I'm on the floor and Al is leaning over me.

"Tris, calm down." He says softly.

I sit up and see a light on in another room and voices coming from that direction, "What are they doing in there?"

"Fantasizing on how we're going to get out of here. They think it's possible." Al shakes his head.

"Is it?"

"Really, Tris?" Al asks. "You think there's a way out besides the ransoms being paid?"

I shrug, "What if they don't let us go after they get their money?"

Al nights the inside of his cheek and shakes his head, "I don't know."

"Are there really guards in the hallways?" I ask.

"We can't get the door open." Will says, sitting up.

"What about when they give us our food?"

Al looks at Will who hangs his head.

"What?"

"They didn't serve us dinner, Tris." Al says quietly. "We waited for hours but no one ever came."

"But in the note..."

"Well they lied." Will spit out.

I gulp and feel my stomach rumble. I was asleep when the food should have come. What will happen to us if they don't feed us?

"It's like a terrible nightmare." Zeke says from the window where you can see the sun starting to rise. His voice is so shaky.

I stand and walk over to him, "Are you okay?"

"I'm worried about Uriah. And I know my mom is probably sick with worry. And my best friend is dead." He turns to me suddenly with wide eyes, "Oh, Tris. I'm sorry. I know you and Tobias were..."

"We were not dating." I say quickly.

"It sure looked like it." Will chuckles.

"I barely know him."

"Knew him." Zeke says glumly.

That brings a sharp pain to my chest. I turn to Zeke and raise my eye brows, "You just called him Tobias."

Zeke shrugs, "Yeah. So?"

"You knew his real name? And who his father was the whole time, didn't you?"

"Well yeah. He was like my brother."

"Why did he hide his real identity for so long?"

Zeke looks like he's about to answer and then pauses. Then he shrugs, "Well, I guess I can tell you. Marcus can't hurt him now anyway."

"Hurt him?"

Zeke nods, "Uh huh. Tobias got beat a lot by that monster. He kept it a secret for so long. Even from me. But one day, he came to school with a headache and passed out. Marcus had hit him so hard the night before. He told me the truth after that. But he made me promise not to tell anyone."

"Your best friend was being abused and you kept your mouth shut?" I ask angrily.

"Not because I wanted to. Marcus found out that I knew somehow and threatened to hurt My family of I ever told. I hate that man." Zeke says through gritted teeth. "Is it wrong to be glad he's dead?"

"I just can't believe all the other teachers are gone too." I say sadly. Miss Tori had been my favorite teacher ever.

"Do you know why Caleb was on the teacher bus?" Al asks.

I shake my head, "He never gets in trouble. He's to cautious and quiet. It doesn't make any sense at all."

"Who could be behind all this?" Will asks.

Peter walks into the room and examines the door.

"Whatcha doin'?" Zeke asks slowly.

Peter tilts his head to the side, "Al, do you think you could help us lift a couch?"

Al looks at us and then back at Peter, "I guess."

"Great." Peter says before heading back to the other room.

"Wait, why?" I call after him.

Peter turns back and grins, "We're busting out of here."