Chapter Thirty-Three

My mother always told me to live with no regrets. She always reminded me to never do anything that I would regret after doing it. Right now, I wish that I had listened to my mother. How could I be so stupid. The familiar smell of the hospital OR room washed over my nose. I hated that smell. I reminded me of the time when I had visited my mom's friend in the hospital who was getting her appendix removed. I was only 9 but I can still remember seeing her on that hospital bed with all the doctors surrounding her. She had lost a lot of blood. I had seen too much. The OR door was opened by a surgical nurse who was rushing out of the room because, Shirley, my mother's friend, was losing too much blood.

An oxygen mask was placed on my mouth and I faintly heard the nurse tell me to breathe. Everything was so blurry. All I could remember was seeing Hunter and then everything went dark. How could I be so foolish. I knew I shouldn't have picked up those weights. I mean who was I kidding! 5 sets! I could barely walk last week. I should of stopped. I should of called for help. I should of-, I shouldn't have. See, I hate it when my mom is right. What is that saying, "Mother knows best." Whoever said that was right. I was getting tired, the anesthesia was starting to wear me down as I fought to stay awake. I didn't like going under because there was a chance that I would not wake up. I had to wake up. There was so much that I wanted to do. I was just starting to remember bits of my life and because of a stupid mistake I made, I was now at risk of not waking up. I wanted to scream at myself. Look at myself in the mirror and ask myself what did i have to prove? But I knew exactly what the answer would be. I wanted to show everyone that I wasn't weak. That these months of "rest" were wearing my out mentally. The fact that a portion of my life was just wasted. I was so angry. I wanted to prove to Hunter that I was not a weak little girl who needed him to sleep on the side of my hospital bed for 24 hours. But most importantly, I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. "Alright, count to 10 with me Ms. Perez. 10..9..8..7" the nurse's voice fainted and I was welcomed by a peaceful darkness.

"I think we need to consider her mental health"

"What do you mean?"

"Why didn't she stop?"

"What are you guys trying to get at?"

"I'm just saying maybe we should consider the options that Alex just might be experiencing some depression. I mean she just lost almost a whole year of her life. The doctors didn't know if she would make it. Maybe we should have her evaluated by a psychologist."

"SHE'S NOT CRAZY!"

"I'm not saying she's crazy Hunter! I am just concerned for my cousin. We all are! It could of been worse! She could of died in that operating room today. What was she trying to prove by lifting those weights? That she was strong!"

"Mehilda! It's ok, calm down. We'll talk to her about it. Don't stress over it"

"I know Beatriz but I'm just saying. It could of been more then just ruptured stitches. It could of been worse and that is what I am most worried about."

"Well the doctor says that they got to the bleeding in time and that she will be fine. We all just need to make sure that-" I couldn't take it anymore. I felt bad for eavesdropping. I wanted to keep listening but my heart rate give away that I was awake when the monitor was beeping profusely. I needed to be a great actress right now. So I started to stir around in the bed. I groaned because my abdomen was slightly soar. I was still on pain meds so it did not hurt as bad. I fluttered my eyes open and waited for them to adjust to the bright light. Looking to my left, I stared at the clock which read 4:37 a.m. Trying to scan the room, I noticed that everyone was there. Mehilda, Dordy, Beatriz, Beyoncé, Jazz, Blake, David, Andy, Ally, Brandon, Daniel, Dylan, Chris, Marcus-who I later learned was now dating Dordy--, a random guy and finally, Hunter. I avoided making eye contact with him. There were so many people in the room. If Hunter had not moved me to a bigger room, I would of felt like I was suffocating.