Chapter One

"Lana. Please, look at me when I'm talking to you." My mom asked once more, I internally sighed and turned around in my seat.

"What?"

"Talk to me." Her gaze hardened.

"Okay. About what?" I played dumb.

"You need to choose an extra curricular activity. You're already in your third year of high school and you don't do anything! No sports, no clubs, no groups! Take at least something up dear. Challenge yourself a little bit." She sighed, we'd had this conversation too many times.

I always chose to ignore her, because it was such an annoying topic. I didn't want to do anything else.

My life was so simple, I got all my homework done, grades were good, friends were decent. The rest of my time was spent listening to music or watching netflix. I was probably the only teen in the world that was completely content with their life as it was.

Didn't have a boyfriend, didn't want one. All of the boys at my school were degenerates, wastes of space. Everything was so boringly simple. But for me, that was peace. That was happiness.

Didn't have a Dad either, and you guessed it, didn't want one! Long story short, he went out for a 'drink with his buddies' when I turned 2 and never came back.

But I didn't mind. There were no hurt feelings, no anger, no daddy issues. I never felt that I needed a Father figure to have a complete family. I had my Mom, and that was all I needed. I was truly content just like that.

I wasn't a bad kid either, I didn't ask for much, never got into any trouble. Tried my best not to give my Mother attitudes, although I'd slip up here and there. Nonetheless, I tried to make raising me an easy job. Because I know being a single parent isn't an easy thing.

See? I'm mature too. Aren't I just a blessing? So it didn't make sense to me. Why would she be forcing me to do something. Why couldn't she just let her perfect boring child be in her perfect boring little world.

But she nagged, on and on and on and on.

"Lana, are you listening to me? I won't ask you again." She grew angry.

"Yes, Mother. What is it?" I said as patiently as possible this time, one eye giving in to a twitch.

"I was asking you about learning an instrument. The next door neighbor, the young man who teaches guitar, he said he'd be willing to come over and give you private lessons if you were willing to learn." My mother beamed.

Ah, another one of her bright ideas. I'd already turned down the last 800 I don't know what would make her think this one would be any different.

"No." I said firmly, turning my back to continue watching The Walking Dead.

"Lana, please! Just give it a try and I won't pester you anymore, I promise! Once a week for a month and you can quit after that if you don't want to continue, no nagging whatsoever. Cross my heart." Her smile widened in anticipation and it made me want to bang my head on a desk repeatedly.

When I considered my choices though, I realized it wouldn't be so bad. Once a week wasn't that much, and a month, It'd be over in no time It's literally just 4 classes! Then she'd be off my back forever. I laughed like a maniac inside my head before standing up, turning to her, and extending my hand.

"You have a deal."

"Great. You start tomorrow after school." The corners of her mouth curled up and she turned from me before I could protest.

Ah, if the devil was a woman.

I sat back down to finish watching the last episode of The Walking Dead. I cursed under my breath as I found myself unable to focus on the show. My thoughts were clouded with tomorrow and how I suddenly didn't want to go through with it.