Chapter Fifteen

A bright light was shining through the dark hole I'd kept myself in for so many years.

My eyes opened to see the world through a new perspective.

Suddenly, I knew I wouldn't be able to live without this person. I wouldn't be able to think about a future without including them in it.

I was fucked.

-

"How does pancakes sound?" Frank asked, leaning over the countertop to kiss my forehead.

I held back a grin and cleared my throat.

"Pancakes would be amazing." I talked softly to hide my hoarse morning voice.

"Great, only one problem."

"What's that?" I tilted my head.

"I don't know how to cook." He scratched his head.

I sighed and hopped off the stool I was sitting on, walking into the kitchen and grabbing a mixing bowl.

"You're the best!" He called.

"I know." I chuckled to myself.

-

I didn't leave the house till around noon. I'd already called my Mother to tell her I 'woke up early' and went over to Frank's house. Followed by that, I had to tell her about the Mrs. Smith incident or she would have found out through someone else. And that, wouldn't have been good.

Luckily she gave me the sympathy card and just apologized for not asking if I was okay when I came home. I wasn't going to school today and she didn't blame me. That's a relief. Apparently they gave me time off after witnessing Mrs. Smith's death. Hah, I should see people die more often.

I didn't want to be at school primarily because I didn't want to be around for the whole grief counseling, student assembly, memorial service, and even worse all the kids pretending to cry because they wanted someone to feel sorry for them.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, I mean, in a way I wanted my Mom to feel sorry for me so she would lay off my back for a while.

I gazed out the window of Frank's car door. We were driving to Mr. Way's house to talk about Lucas and where we go from here. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried, I seemed to be the only reasonable person out of the three of us. Frank and Mr. Way would probably kill Lucas if it was up to them. Even though I was starting to despise the little shit, I just couldn't let that happen. No more death, no more fear, no more drama. Not for another lifetime.

We arrived at around 1 o'clock but the lights still seemed to be off in Mr. Way's home.

"Should we knock?" I whispered.

"Nah." Frank turned around and dug through a potted flower sitting on the floor, when he pulled his hands out he was holding a dirt-covered key, smirking.

"Ah, he hasn't changed in 10 years." Frank chuckled dryly.

"We can't just barge in! He's my teacher!" I hissed.

"Sure we can. If you haven't noticed you two are far past the student-teacher relationship now. Dead body, holding a minor hostage, orgy. Remember?"

"Orgy?! That never even happened!" I grimaced.

"Well according to Mrs. Smith it did." He winked.

"Mrs. Smith is dead."

"Good point. Then it never happened." He shrugged.

"Make up your mind!" I groaned.

He stuck his tongue out at me and proceeded to unlock Mr. Way's front door. I cursed under my breath and followed him inside the dark house. It was almost creepy at first, no signs of any life, a bone chilling atmosphere thick in the air.