Chapter Three

When I opened my eyes this morning I was no longer thinking of what I’d wear, what I’d watch when I got home, or what I’d eat for dinner. All of those things seemed so much smaller.

Instead I was thinking about after school, I was thinking about seeing Frank and learning something new about music all over again. I was even thinking about all the unpredictable things that could happen just like yesterday. It was… exciting? Not the getting violated part, but just the general cluelessness of how my day could go; the excitement of not knowing what would happen next.

How long had it been since I had real excitement in my life? When I opened my eyes this morning, no matter how much I wanted to deny it, the world was brighter.

And it was thanks to the stupid guitar lessons.

I got out of my bed and opened the window to let the sunlight in; it almost felt like a scene out of a movie. I could hear the birds singing outside and the sun’s rays illuminated my wooden floor. I pranced into the shower, shaving and lathering myself in strawberries and cream scented body soap.

Okay seriously what the fuck was going on, did someone slip me a happy pill in my sleep I felt like a fairy or something. I had NEVER been a morning person a single day in my life. I went into my closet and pulled out a flowy white sundress and sandals.

EVEN MY DRESS SENSE WAS WHACK TODAY?

I tied my hair back in a neat braid and quickly got in my car before I could change my mind about wearing a dress to school.

Today is going to be a good day, I told myself over and over again.

Positive vibes.

First period; Chemistry.

Alright. Bring it.

I walked into the classroom; my head held high and ready to ‘learn’.

I looked over to the black board and stopped dead in my tracks.

UNIT TEST TODAY. TURN NOTEBOOKS IN. Was written in clear bold letters.

I walked back out of the classroom.

“What..the fuck?” I muttered to myself. Why didn’t I know there was a test today?!?! And my notebook?!? I hadn’t even finished it yet!

I chewed on my lip furiously and tried to think up a solution to this dilemma.

I couldn’t just skip chemistry. I had to skip ‘em all.

I looked up and down the hall as if I was crossing the street and sprinted out the door I came in from. I kept running, not giving anyone a chance to stop me. I made a sharp turn to get into the parking lot and hadn’t seen the two people walking out of it.

I made contact with the both of them, the impact of the hit knocking all of us over like bowling pins.

My hand shot to my lower back, which had a sharp pain resonating through it.

“Fuck. I’m so sorry..” I muttered, looking up to see whom it was I knocked over.

I froze. It was the art teacher, Mr. Way, and the music teacher, Mr. Toro.

I didn’t have them for any classes so I prayed they wouldn’t recognize me.

“Dammit. Watch where you’re going kid.” Mr. Way said rubbing his head and glancing over to me.

“Why aren’t you in class? The bell is about to ring.” Mr. Toro scolded.

“I.. I uh-..” I searched my brain for an excuse and clearly displayed a guilty face.