Chapter Thirteen

Frank's hand almost felt as if it'd snap mine in half as he led me away. One of his hands clutched mine as his arm wrapped around my shoulders while the other dug for his keys in the depths of his pockets. The way his eyes were darting around every second it appeared as if he were some wanted crimin-- Oh. Right. I suppose we could be.

Now that my tasks of crocodile tears and false distress were behind me, the full force of the night hit me like a freight train. I still forced myself to stand tall, not leaning into Frank's protective embrace, while my mind spun like a carnival ferris-wheel with the speed switch broken. I didn't want him to catch on as the panicked thoughts began to consume me so I climbed into his car without question. Maybe that only alerted him more because as I sat down and belted in without a fuss he quit glancing around us and really examined at me. I gave him a withering look, as if I were annoyed weith him somehow, and he gave the ghost of a smirk before driving off. I was half sure I slept or that his car was a time-traveling machine because before I could blink I found myself parked outside my house.

It felt odd to me that, after so much had changed in my life so fast, this place looked just as it had my entire life. Frank's voice cut into my inner monologue, "I texted her earlier saying I took you to dinner. You're covered."

Oh, he thought that was what was bothering me. "Thanks." My voice wasn't hoarse or choked, it came to my ears in a detached way, as if it didn't belong to me at all. I put my hand on the handle but he stopped me.

"Wait, she has no idea about tonight," I gave him a confused look. "Don't you think she'll find it odd you have blood all over you?"

"Shit." I muttered, running a hand down my face in an exhausted manner.

"Here," Frank reached into the back seat and pulled free a black hoodie with gray stripes wrapping around the sleeves, offering it to me. "Take this."

I began to protest but to be honest I didn't have another option so I slipped the jacket on as best I could in the seat before finally stepping out. I had nothing left to say so I simply nodded at him and closed the door behind me. I heard the car drive the short distance to his house next door and park but I refused to look over at him, afraid I would lose the charade of 'fine' I'd conjured up.

I patted my own pockets but realized I must've forgotten my keys that morning and gave up. Reaching for the spare key behind the planter, I heard a muffled banging sound. Oh God, what if Lucas had come here? What if he had hurt my mom? My fingers shook and wouldn't move fast enough as I jammed the key in and threw the door open with a SLAM. My heart sped up and my footfalls thundered toward the living room, something I regretted immediately because in my haste I was giving away my presence. Too late now, I thought as I reached the dark living room. I flicked on the switched and almost fainted. Again.

"WHAT THE HELL?!" My voice cracked, and despite myself I almost laughed at how ridiculous I must look right now.

"Oh, Lana, you're home early." My mother commented, sitting up on the couch and revealing she'd been on top of my elementary school teacher Ms. Trevor.

"Oh, my God. The world hates me." My voice was drained and detached again as I crossed my arms, tugging Frank's hoodie around myself in an attempt of comfort.

"Hello Lana." Ms. Trevor, like myself, was red as a tomato as she sat up as well. She redid the top buttons of her blouse and tried to pat down her wild sex hair.

"I'm going to my room. Then I'm going to gouge my eyes out. Goodnight." With wide eyes I turned on my heel and began the trip to my room.

My mother's voice carried as she spoke behind me, "She can be so dramatic... No, it's fine, we'll just have to keep it down." Her words, followed by a girlish giggle, made me regret leaving the nice peaceful world of fainting over a lady's death and what appeared to be a three way between myself and two grown men. Yeah, that was a piece of cake in comparison to this.