Chapter Twelve

I sat outside the nurse's office, back slumped against a wall. It's been close to half an hour that they've kept me locked out here. I gave up trying to get inside 20 minutes ago. There was no use in wasting my energy.

I could hear fighting and talking, I knew what was going on. Frank was beating Lucas to a pulp, and Mr. Way was allowing it. They were threatening him. Threatening that if he talked they'd come after him, and his family.

Ha, what the fuck was this? Mafia wars?

And for some reason, Lucas was stupid enough to believe them. I bet he was so freaked out, thinking we were all gangsters or something. I could hear the desperation in his cries, at this point I didn't know what to believe anymore.

Technically, weren't we criminals now? Even if only for pretend?

You can't really beat someone up and be like 'haha just kidding.'

I looked down to my watch, 8:45. Normally on this day, and at this time, I’d be watching the newest Once Upon A Time and getting ready to go to bed. My Mother was probably worried sick about me, I wouldn’t be surprised if she’d already filed a missing persons report or called the police.

Before I knew it, the office door unlocked and Frank stepped out.

"We're good to go." He grinned.

"What have you done?" I glared at him.

"Fixed the brat. Now get in here, we've gotta sort out the librarian dilemma." He extended a hand to help me up. I pushed it away and stood up by myself.

As I was walking into the office, Lucas walked out, brushing against my shoulder. His lip was split open and his face was bloodied and bruised. He looked me dead in the eyes for a split second with murderous intent.

Shit.

I frantically walked into the room; attempting to pretend that didn't just happen.

"What the hell are you guys doing?! How do you know he's not going to go blab to the police now?" I scowled at Mr. Way. I know how Frank is, but I figured at least Mr. Way could see the insanity of all this. He's a teacher for Christ's sake, how could he let a student be beat up like that?

"He won't. Just trust us." Mr. Way replied, pressing his fingers to his temple in a stressed manner.

"Fuck. How did all this get so messed up?" I muttered to myself.

I felt a hand smoothly running up my back. "Don't stress out. We don't need you blacking out again, we've got this covered." Frank pecked my cheek and for once, I accepted the comfort.

Are we going to call the cops now?” I sighed, looking over to Mrs. Smith’s covered body.

“Yes, you need to go over there and roll around in some of the blood though. They’re going to find your fingerprints on her neck and body from when you went to help her.” Mr. Way replied. I shuttered, I can’t believe this was happening.

I walked over to the corpse and the large puddle of blood underneath it, dipping my hand inside and running it down my shirt. I mimicked what I had to clean off earlier on my thighs and the rest of my body. The sad thing was how much blood there was to spare. Her head had cracked open on the floor, and here I was taking advantage of it.

“I’m so sorry Mrs. Smith. Please, rest in peace.” A few tears rolled down my face. This wasn’t right, not one bit. And it was finally sinking in. It was all fun and games up till this point. I kept trying to remind myself that this was an accident, a series of unfortunate events. But I was filled with fear, guilt, and remorse. Does this qualify me to go to hell?