Chapter Seventeen

My eyes fluttered open as we walked out of Mr. Way’s house. A smile plastered on both of our faces. Frank held my hand as he led me to his car.

The sun was beaming down on us, almost too violently.

It was the kind of sun you experience on an exhausting summer day in the middle of a baseball game. The kind of sun that forbids you from looking at the sky. I was almost grateful for my temporary blindness, I couldn’t see clearly either way.

Not after what just transpired between Frank and I.

Before I knew it we were driving down the road and I could tell I was holding my heart in my hands.

“Oh god.” I mumbled.

“That’s only the beginning.” He chuckled dryly.

“It was good.” I admitted, almost sounding breathless.

“I know.” He smirked.

I bit my lower lip, trying to hold back the inevitable smirk forming on my face.

“Wanna stop somewhere for lunch?” He glanced at me through the rear view mirror.

“Sure. Where?” I smiled back at him.

This was strange; we couldn’t seem to stop smiling at each other. Looking at each other lovingly, like some new couple that couldn’t seem to keep their hands off each other. The kind of couples you gag over when you pass in a shopping mall.

But never, never did I think that would be me.

“You pick.” He replied.

“Uhh, somewhere cheap. I don’t have a lot of money on me.” I shrugged.

“Hah. You really think I’m going to let you pay for yourself? It’s on me. I told your Mother I’d feed you anyways.” He laughed.

“What? Are you sure?” My eyes widened.

Is this what relationships were? Orgasms and free food?

I could get used to this.

“Penny for your thoughts?” He grinned.

“Orgasms and free food.” I chuckled.

“What?” He laughed.

“That must be what love is.”

“God, I need to pick your thoughts more often.” He laughed even harder.

“I’m an open book.” I winked.

“Good.” He smiled.

“And I’m pretty sure love is more than just orgasms and free food. But, that does sound pretty fucking nice.” He shook his head in laughter.

“I do though.”

“You do what?” He raised an eyebrow.

I thought for a moment, did I just say that out loud? Why am I speaking my thoughts. I could feel my fingers begin to tremble but I clenched my fists and swallowed the lump forming in the back of my throat.

“I do love you.”

He said nothing for a few seconds, but I glanced up to him to see he had a huge grin, from ear to ear, plastered on his face.

I simply smiled, he didn’t need to say anything. There was a silent understanding between the two of us.

“Alright you lovely girl. How does pizza sound?” He pulled the car into the parking lot of a Domino’s pizza.