2

"Hey, Marley? Wake up. Let's get some food."

Marley sprang upwards, gasping for air but relaxing at the familiar sight of her blonde best friend in front of her, hands on her shoulders. The bus being oddly quiet surprised her, but when she saw it nearly empty, no Aiden in sight, the surprise turned into confusion.

"Everybody's off. Aiden told me to wake you. Come on, the lines probably really long."

Marley hoped she hadn't made a fool of herself sleeping next to him, which was precisely what she was trying to avoid doing. Everything earlier wore her out, and by the sound of her grumbling stomach, made her hungry too. She grabbed her wallet at Gabby's impatient beckoning, adjusting her star wars hoodie and pyjama pants as she scrambled from her seat with stiff limbs.

Gabby is a fiend for Tim Hortons, but unfortunately, that was a line with over 60 people when they made it into the doors of the rest stop. The other restaurants were A&W and Subway, but those were even longer. Gabby groaned as they fell into the back of Tim's line. Marley kept her head down, hoping that if she didn't look at anyone, they wouldn't look at her.

"Darn, we're never going to get food before we have to get back on the bus."

Marley felt a twinge of guilt, "You could've gone without me. Gotten us a spot."

"I could've," she sighed, "But Aiden the idiot wouldn't wake you up himself or nudge you or anything. He forced me to do it."

Marley's cheeks reddened. She was surprised by Gabby's lack of questions, but she usually had a one-track mind when it came to food being in her vicinity. Gabby was bouncing on the heels of her Uggs, but within five minutes they still hadn't moved. Her hair was near all the way out of her bun, but she nevertheless looked really pretty. Marley tugged on the ends of her dull brown hair; she's always been jealous of her best friend's looks.

"Ladies, your knight in shining armour is here to rescue your hangry asses."

Gabby choked on air and Marley whirled around to see Leo standing behind him with his arms crossed. Both shy girls stared up at him, confused and embarrassed, causing him to roll his green eyes and elaborate.

"Come to our spot in the line, and get some food before you're grey-haired and smelly. Let's go."

Gabby shifted on her feet; her head ducked down. Marley's mouth hung open.

"Jesus Christ," Leo ran a hand down his face when neither girls made a sound, "Do you two know how to walk? Speak?"

Marley hugged herself and stared at her shoes, "It's rude," she justified quietly, knowing Gabby had less of a chance of responding.

"Well, guess you're going to hell for cutting a fucking line. Willingly or unwillingly, you're coming with me."

Gabby took a step toward Leo after a quiet moment of deliberation, and when Marley gave her a look, she leaned in to explain.

"I'm hungry, okay? I didn't bring any snacks with me."

"I have some!" Marley hissed back.

"Well, I don't want your stupid goldfish. I want a donut!"

"It's rude to cut the line! Everyone will hate us," Marley retorted.

"Look, as much as I find you two amazing company, can we get a move on?"

Marley gasped when Leo clamped a hand around her upper arm and grabbed Gabby too, who put up less resistance as they were dragged through the crowds of people. They moved out of the way without so much of a peep, their eyes wide and their stances submissive. Afraid.