29

Marley was about to kill him.

"I need to go to the bathroom."

"No, you don't. You went before we left and it's only been twenty minutes since."

"I want to see Gabby."

"She went to the bathroom. She'll be back in a minute."

"I want to walk around."

"Well, we can't always get what we want."

"I'm hot."

"And my name is Aiden Matthews."

"I'm tired."

"Let's go back to your room then."

"You need to calm down."

"You need to stop testing my patience."

"You need to stop being such a freaking caveman!" Marley hissed, shoving at his immobile, muscular back like a child having a tantrum.

In her defence, she's sat on this same circular bar stool, with Aiden standing between her legs and blocking her with his body for the last thirty minutes.

The first two steps into the room were fine until Aiden tried to punch Conner for smiling at her and then proceeded to throw her over his shoulder and try to carry her away. It was then that she demanded he put her down unless he wanted to pee in a bag for the rest of his life.

Naturally, his scene attracted a lot of attention, in which Aiden falsely coined as every guy in the room checking her out.

So he barked out a bunch of very profane threats that nearly got him kicked out, before marching the both of them over to the stool, sitting her down and standing so his back was in her face, his arms crossed.

He'd been silently brooding ever since.

And it was annoying the hell out of her.

"It may not seem like it but Marley is very capable of violence." Gabby returned, taking her seat beside Marley. "She gets this crazy look in her eyes before she snaps, and she has that crazy look in her eyes right now."

"She should've dressed up as the paper bag princess, and we wouldn't have any problems," Aiden grunted.

Marley threw her hands up in the air, "For God's sakes!"

Aiden's broad shoulders shrugged as if there was absolutely nothing wrong with his behaviour. He was about to find something wrong with his brain when she smashes one of her converse into the side of his head.

Yes, she and Gabby won that battle. After the group photo taken on Kelly's phone only, with an annoyed Aiden leaning against the wall, his arms crossed and eyes watching Marley like a hawk — she and Gabby snuck to the corner of the room while the group mingled and prepared to leave. They had tied their laces and managed to sneak their way out the door and down the hall before Tristan noticed.

She didn't chew them out like Marley was expecting. Instead, she shook her head and sighed dramatically, calling her and Gabby a 'different breed.'

The party was cooler than Marley was anticipating. Despite the hovering councillors, it wasn't too much like a middle school dance. The mess hall — which was usually a maze with all the picnic tables — had become a giant empty room for bodies to mingle and dance. A DJ with an impressive looking setup and speakers taller than Marley, had Beats headphones on his ears as he bobbed his head and moved his hands gracefully along all his equipment. The neon lights accenting his table were all glowing orange. Along the sides of the room were stand up tables with plastic black tablecloths, surrounded by black bar stools. There were a few spotlights in the corners of the room, adding a mysterious effect to everything.