11

"Does it look like I'm the girl to drive through the woods on a four-wheeler?"

Marley had the appearance to back her words up. She pushed her glasses up her nose, and having her book in her hand was helping with the image. She didn't exactly look like the kind of girl to do anything athletic or adventurous. More like curl in her blankets and read.

Kelly snorted, "No. But you're doing it anyway."

The first school week at their Biology camp had come and gone. It was now Friday afternoon, and Bree, Gabby, Kelly, Sarah, and Tristan were all sprawled out in various spots in Marley's room. Kelly and Tristan were her and Gabby's roommates, and Sarah was one of Bree's. The other two girls in Bree's room were supposedly twins, who slept in the same bed together and spoke strictly in Portuguese when they were around — hence why they were doing their own thing.

Over the last few days, Marley and Gabby started talking more with their roommates Kelly and Tristan, especially in the afternoons when they all headed to their rooms after a long day of classes. Bree ended up in their room as well and clicked with the girls too. Eventually, Sarah joined in seamlessly because of her and Bree's friendship. Now they all hung out together, usually on a daily basis.

Marley couldn't lie, it was odd having so many 'girlfriends' when it's always been her and Gabby. It was a strange thing to get used to, but she liked it. They were all exciting and unique in their own ways, and she was glad she had the chance to get to know them.

In about two hours, a four-wheeler 'expedition' would be taking place. Ten students were permitted to go at a time slot of forty minutes, and Kelly had signed them all up for the first block. Marley was vehemently against driving a giant death machine that she would probably crash into a tree sooner than be able to control. Even though she wasn't the one driving, she did like her limbs intact and her head on her shoulders, thank you very much.

"I can't believe you did this," Marley flopped back onto her bed, staring up at the vertical planks of wood beneath Gabby's top bunk, which shifted as the girl herself swung her bare legs over it and hopped down.

"I can't believe you've done this," Bree exclaimed in a strange accent, holding her cheek dramatically and causing everyone but Tristan to give her strange looks.

"God," Tristan groaned, and they both looked as if they were in physical pain, "I don't know where we went wrong in this world."

"You guys confuse me," Sarah muttered, echoing Marley, Gabby, and Kelly's thoughts as they stared at the two in confusion.

Gabby sat down beside Marley, who finally decided to sit up herself after the dramatic backwards flop, "You don't have to do it, you know," her best friend told her reassuringly, "but you did want to try new things, and this is one of them."

"Besides," Tristan butted in with a teasing smile. Uh oh. "you're in good hands."

Marley, with flaming cheeks, grabbed one of her pillows and sent it flying across the room at Tristan's head. She knew her friend would hate it. It took a long time with hair like hers to straighten it into submission.

All the other girls always told her she didn't need to do anything to it, the spindly curls contrasted beautifully against her chocolate brown skin and further accentuated her light hazel eyes. Nevertheless, she was convinced that her 'fro' (which she pulls off like a freaking model, by the way) should be tamed.

Tristen growled in frustration, trying to pat down her hair, "Marley!"

"Well, you deserved it," Sarah snickered, snatching the pillow before Tristan could get her revenge and it was an all-out war, "she's very touchy on that certain subject."