36

"I'm not giving you any look, Marley. I'm surprised. That's all."

"About my dress choice?"

"You're wearing one of Tristan's party dresses, so yeah. I'm surprised."

Tristan curled her right hand around the edge of their bathroom doorway, peeking around with her toothbrush in her mouth, "What the hell is that supposed to mean?" she managed to get out around her foaming toothpaste.

"It means that your style can be a little slu-" Kelly grunted when Sarah, from her place sitting next to her on the floor, elbowed her in the stomach.

The redhead gave her a harsh glare, "-fabulous" she sang, "Kelly said your style can be a little fabulous."

Marley curled her knees to her chest, her back against the wall of her bunk. Her hazel eyes flitted back and forth from the admittedly risky white two-piece set that Tristan offered for her to borrow for the party tonight.

She still wasn't sure she wanted to go. But upon arriving back at their room after her and Gabby's walk, and finding a bouquet of red roses resting neatly on her pillow, alongside a small grey stuffed bear and a note — all from Aiden — Marley was ready to keep moving. She didn't want to sit still and think.

I covered for you today don't worry. Also, I deleted them off of my Instagram. The photos. Definite stupid kid thing. I'm sorry, Spitfire.

P.S. I would've gotten you a Lovebear 2.0, but I was on a time crunch. Next time. Promise.

P.P.S You know I don't break my promises.

At the last part of the note, Marley felt a shiver crawl up her back, even though she read it alone. The words, in his neat calligraphy, felt like they were spoken in his deep voice, with his penetrating blue eyes locked on hers, full lips parted-

Marley!

She blinked the thoughts away, lifting a hand to finger the stretchy fabric of the white material. The roses, now laying on the end of her bed, felt alive. Like they were teasing her, mocking her. The bear was even worse.

Aiden was accurate to the point where it even had a pink bow wrapped around its neck. It was sitting on top of her pillow, and dammit, it smelled like him. She decided to herself she'd only acknowledged it when she was alone and everyone was sleeping soundly.

Sorry, lovebear mini, Marley thought guiltily, her head turning to give the bear a quick, apologetic glance. Its beady eyes bored right back into hers. She looked away before it could make fun of her hopeless, pathetic crush, too.

Yeah, so all this? Needs to go. Marley has to do something, and even going to the carnival tonight wasn't an option. The councillors made an announcement the day the carnival opened after they were asked by multiple students to attend. They do the same thing every year:

Carnival only on Saturday afternoon.

The only place they were allowed to go to unless given special permission was the mall, and on certain days when there was a councillor present at the said mall to take your attendance and ensure your safety. It's understandable and accepted by Marley. This trip is primarily for educational purposes and endorsed by the school board as well as prominent American colleges. If students were to be allowed to go where they wanted, do what they wanted, and possibly get themselves injured or worse — it would look bad on the program itself and the endorsers.

Which is why it confused Marley to no end how both cabins are going to be able to attend a teenage party thrown by teenagers in the city, unsupervised.