6

Turns out, the blonde guy that she argued with about Wuthering Heights on the bus lived a few streets away from Marley. Jason had moved halfway through high school and didn't want to transfer, so he made the commute. She knew there was something she recognized about him earlier, but couldn't put her finger on it until he told her a little about himself.

Sitting next to him and becoming familiar with the people at their table in the mess hall was Marley's favourite part of her day. He not only introduced her and Gabby with dramatic, hilarious flair, but they were instantly welcomed into the fold with no hostility once so ever. Most of them were shy, big glasses on their noses and all timid smiles. But they spoke about their hobbies and interests, encouraging each other's opinions and Gabby — Gabby Collins — even started a conversation with two of the boys in front of her about some anime show. Marley was more of a bookworm, she didn't watch much TV so she couldn't exactly participate in that rather, heated debate.

Jason kept her thoroughly entertained though. He is an avid skateboarder, and his girlfriend, the dark haired one that asked Marley if she was in acting earlier today, was pursuing acting next year. They were both incredibly friendly and had this easygoing banter that filled every silence and never made anything awkward.

Marley scarfed down a large forkful of Alfredo, choking on it when Jason's interesting story reached its climax.

"-and then she caught sight of my superman underwear and probably all of my manhood with this giant ass flashlight that appeared out of nowhere. Please imagine that for a second."

His girlfriend — Bree — was laughing so hard tears were in her eyes, and Marley herself was red-faced as she attempted to swallow her pasta.

"Fucking Alex. He knew that she was going to be watching us like a hawk, that's why he chose that dare. I had to chase him down the street for my clothes while the cat lady stood with her landline in the middle of the road screaming that the cops would 'come for us hooligans.'"

The fact that he said it in such a high pitched voice only made Marley laugh harder. She'd managed to swallow her food, which left no muffle to her loud, stomach aching giggles.

"You know she's been protesting the placement of that skate park to the city ever since, right? My dad actually doesn't like you anymore," Bree's father works for the mayor's office, and apparently has his hands full with this old woman's complaints.

When Marley heard the back door to the mess hall swing open, she instinctively turned to see who it was. Her favourite person, the blonde councillor that refused to back off when Aiden asked her to, was strolling into the room like she was on cloud nine.

When her eyes locked on Marley's, she looked genuinely happy to see her, walking over much to Marley's disappointment. But the closer she got, the more Marley noticed subtle changes: her flushed cheeks, the messy ponytail which was straight and put together earlier, reddened lips. She frowned in confusion as the girl practically floated over, a small dreamy haze cast over her eyes.

"I was actually coming to find you," she began politely, in stark contrast to her harsh behaviour a couple hours ago.

When she finally made it to Marley's side, the air followed a few seconds behind, a distinct scent flooding Marley's nostrils. If she didn't know any better-

"Look, we got off on the wrong foot, and I apologize for that. I now know it was really wrong of me to treat you that way."

Marley's mouth fell open in shock. Before, the girl was harsh and cold and now she was the bubblegum princess bouncing on her toes. Curbing her shock, Marley accepted the apology.