26

"If you think that we're putting that on our pumpkin you're delusional Leo."

"It's an original idea, Kelly. I'm sorry if you can't see the beauty of it beyond your Starbucks and Sephora."

"A naked woman on a pumpkin is not an 'original idea' Leo. It's vulgar, and we'll get disqualified." Bree deadpanned from under Jason's arm.

Marley leaned back on her plastic chair and rolled her eyes at Leo's antics. Aiden would probably be able to shut him down if he wasn't over grabbing a pumpkin with Ryan.

Their group was Gabby, Bree, Jason, Sarah, Leo, Kelly, Ryan, Tristan, Marley, and Aiden.

They were all outside with their plastic tables and chairs covered in festive orange table cloths. There was a $500 prize for the best pumpkin to be split amongst the winning group, which made the hunt for a perfect pumpkin very competitive. Marley watched guys climbing over each other to find the best one in amusement.

But that faded into something else entirely when her eyes caught on Aiden. He was wearing a muscle tee today, which made all the difference in the world when he hoisted himself up on the bed of the truck effortlessly. His muscles were on full display, his broad back and shoulders dizzying to look at. Marley's skin tingled at the power he had over his body. How gracefully he moved...

"I'm gonna grab the tools." Marley stood and snapped her head away from the one thing she would never tire looking at.

She had to get into some form of self-discipline when it came to Aiden and fast. Marley wasn't sure what would happen if she didn't.

The friendship they have needs to be enough for her. She was afraid of changing a single thing in fear of it all falling apart; this relationship they had was precarious at best right now. What if he found out about her feelings and broke things off because of the awkwardness of them being unrequited? Marley wouldn't chance to lose him. She couldn't.

She headed over to the table before they even announced that groups could collect the carving tools. She had to get away and clear her head, but that is hard to do when the one person she's trying to distance herself from is always with her, in the version of his hat on her head. She reached a hand up to touch the grey canvas fabric and sighed.

The grass was damp beneath her converse-clad feet, but outdoor carving would be a smarter plan than possibly making a disaster in the mess hall. The sun was considerably less violent in the afternoon, so it wasn't so hot that it was unbearable.

Conner, Jay and four of the other councillors were bustling around a long table more significant than the others in the clearing. He smiled when he saw her, wiping the sheen of sweat on his forehead with the back of his hand.

"Hey, Conner." she greeted warmly, standing on the opposite side of the table from him.

He seemed to glance around her for a second before he replied, "Marley, hey. How do you like everything?"

"It's...awesome! I don't even know how all of this is possible for free!"

"Well, it's not for free. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes." he rebutted, his face reddening as he attempted to lift a bin off the ground.

"Let me help." Marley offered, circling the table to face him. Conner was wearing the typical logo shirt with white letters over the logo reading 'councillor,' over tan cargo shorts.

His black hair was sticking to his forehead, the labour he was doing made the weather that didn't bother those sitting down, even worse for him. Conner shot Marley a grateful look as she crouched to curl her fingers around the cardboard box. She glanced inside to see a bunch of the same metal scooping spoons with orange handles on them.