27

If you walked into Gabby's room on a Monday afternoon in September, you'd find her and Marley sprawled out across her bed discussing some homework topic. On her TV would be Gabby's latest addiction — her recent being The Office — and Marley's copy of Wuthering Heights on her nightstand. Gavin would probably be poking his head in once in a while, a pile of thrown pillows by the door physical evidence of that.

If you walked in now, you'd see a redhead hanging with her front off the edge of Marley's bed, scrolling through her Spotify on her phone and jamming out to her music choice on her speaker. You'd see a girl with her legs stretched out on the floor, dark caramel hair being tamed with a straightener while she thought over Cosmo's steps to go from 'get laid to girlfriend.' You'd see a tall back with black curls cascading over her shoulders as she stood at the door, shoving at an eager brown haired guy with his hands on her waist. You'd see another girl of the same hair colour on Skype with her mom, reassuring her that yes, she has been restocking on her toiletries, and yes, she's been walking around at night with a buddy, and no, she hasn't been slacking on her schoolwork.

You'd see that Marley Hoover and Gabby Collins' lives changed completely. And not only that but maybe everything they possibly stand for.

Because they were currently staring at their Playboy Bunny costumes with various shades of regret and distaste.

Marley vehemently rejected any possibility of her walking from the Halloween store $60 poorer with a 'sexy' Playboy Bunny costume. She laughed at first. She was sure that there was nothing they could do to convince her into that honestly sexist group costume.

But if there is anything about Bree Hoffman — it's that she's incredibly persuasive.

She went on a rant about how they need to 'take power back,' and 'reclaim the true meaning.' There was also the fact that Tristan had this dream about being Hugh Hefner after seeing the female version of that costume.

So, by some cosmic fluke, here they were.

Marley did win some battles. There were a few options for this costume, and she managed to fight for the one with the skirt. Now the fishnet tights, exposing sweetheart neckline and heels thing was a necessary evil, but the skirt was in a petal style that covered up her modesty.

It mostly looked like a mock tuxedo with a rabbit-eared headband — or, at least, that's what she told herself over and over so she wouldn't run away screaming.

"Next!" Sarah left the bathroom after a few minutes, now dressed in the costume Marley witnessed in person for the first time.

At least it was better than she thought. The back of the skirt was longer than the front, much to her relief. The front came up to about mid-thigh, which did scare her a little. Other than that, Sarah looked gorgeous with her hair pin straight.

"Lord have mercy," Gabby muttered from beside her, "and let my father never find out about this. Ever."

Marley's eyes widened in horror. She didn't think of how furious Mr. Collins would be if he witnessed the two girls he loves most in this world dressed like this.

"Marley you're next. I've still got to curl your hair and do your makeup, and we only have an hour."

They were in a rush mostly because the pumpkin carving contest took a lot longer than it should have. Everyone else was as competitive, demanding more and more time at every one of Conner's 'five-minute warnings.'

Marley bit the inside of her cheek to hide her smile at the fresh $50 bill now sitting in her wallet. The guys ended up picking the most complicated carving design they saw on Google Images, which was a full-on carousel — horses and all. And while the girls were telling them all to 'get real' and pick a more basic jack o' lantern, Aiden was carefully drawing out the beginning blueprint with pencil on the pumpkin.