chapter fourty-four

"Shawn, just chill

"Shawn, just chill. We're in a good place right now, and I'm not trying to mess that up. For Roman's sake." Jazmine sighed as Shawn stopped kissing her neck. She couldn't lie and say she didn't want him, but her heart was telling her that this wasn't the best idea.

Shawn had been doing better in the parenting category. He was visiting Roman every weekend, and sometimes through out the week, when he didn't have classes.

"Damn, I thought this was what you wanted. For us to work?" He looked at her.

"I do, but this isn't the way to go about it." She slipped back into her leggings, not wanting to regret sharing this kind of moment with Shawn later on down the road.

"Just tell me what you want me to do." Shawn huffed as he stood next to her.

"Continue being a good father to our son. If later on down the road it's meant to be, then maybe we can see if we can work this out, but now isn't the time." She placed her hand on his shoulder.

"Aight man, but please, think about giving me another chance." He leaned down kissing her, hoping that maybe one day they could work out.

_______________________________

Laying down in the bed, Jazmine began thinking about everything that happened between her and Shawn. It was her decision to start fooling around with him in the beginning knowing he was dating her best friend. She missed Milah. Growing up, they always talked about how they would be god moms to each other's babies, but that went down the drain after her going behind her back and seeing Shawn.

She sighed thinking about it. Now, she was the fool, because she should have known that if a man cheated once, he'd definitely do it again.

Jazmine decided to do something she thought she'd never do, and called Milah's phone.

"Don't hang up!" She said quickly once the phone was answered.

"What is it Jazz?" Milah sounded aggravated on the other line.

"I just wanted to apologize for how things went down. I was wrong to even look at Shawn the way I did. After all, you were like a sister to me, and I betrayed your trust. I know you probably never want to speak to me again, but I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me." She paused for a second. "Roman needs his god mother, and his mommy does too, I really miss you Milah." She was on the verge of tears. She had no one on her side, except her parents. No one would ever be there for her as Milah once was.

"Look Jazmine. You did what you had to do, but I actually want to thank you." Milah said into the phone.

"T-thank me?" Jazmine sounded confused by the statement.

"You and Shawn happening, was the best thing that's happened to ME. For months in that relationship, I contemplated on letting it go. You gave me a reason to not even have to. Now I'm in a better place. I've moved on to BIGGER and better things." She laughed into the phone.

"I'm happy for you." Jazmine smiled. "Since that's over with, is there a way we can start our friendship over?" She asked with a little hope in her voice.

"Once you cross me, you can never be trusted. I wish the best for you, but I no longer know your intentions. Kiss the baby for me." And with that Milah hung up the phone to enjoy her night with Derrick. Shawn and Jazmine were no longer her business.

Feeling stupid and alone, Jazmine sat and thought about her fucked up choices. Not only was her relationship with Shawn in shambles, but her friendship with Milah was officially over. It was hard for her to shake, but she was happy she at least tried. She slowly drifted off to sleep.

________________________________

The sound of Roman woke Jazmine up from her peaceful sleep. She sighed seeing that her phone read that it was 3:27 in the morning.

"What's the matter with mommy's baby?" She placed a kiss on his soft face.

Reaching out his little hand, he placed it on her nose, lightly squeezing it.

Jazmine smiled at the sight of his precious face. He resembled Shawn, but had her eyes.

She listened to his coo's, before he stuck his index finger into his mouth.

"You hungry?" She asked him as if he could respond. "Let's go get you a bottle." She walked into the kitchen, grabbing one of the bottles she had prepared earlier from the refrigerator and stuck it into the microwave.

She looked down to see him opening his eyes as they would close, fighting his sleep.

Just as the microwave made a ding, there was a knock on the door.

"Shawn?" She asked, confused because she though he was heading back to Tally after he left tonight.

"I just wanted to see lil man one more time before I left." He took the bottle, and Roman from her arms.

"You know, he's your twin." She looked at Shawn, then her baby. Shawn smiled.

Watching Roman's eyes finally close, Shawn placed a kiss on his cheek. "I love you Ro." He spoke.

"I love you also, Jazz." He told her before they walked together to lay Roman in his crib.

Walking out of the room, the two headed back into the living room.

"You know what, I think I'ma crash here tonight, if that's okay with you?" He said just before twisting the front door knob.

Jazmine couldn't help but feel warm inside. She honestly didn't want him to leave.

"Sure."

As they laid in the bed, Shawn couldn't resist pulling her body close to his as he lay his head in the crook of her neck. This moment felt right to him, and he'd be a fool to let go.

"I love you too Shawn." Jazmine spoke.