Six

Chad fell to the ground.

"What the heck Raelynn?" he groaned. "Since when do you care about her? he sneered and spit out the last word as if it was poison.

"Since I realised she's an actual person who doesn't deserve to be treated like shit." Rae fired back. "Just get outta here Chad. Take your dickhead princey cronies with you."

"Did you just... swear?" His mouth dropped. "You're both insane." he stood up.

"Well, I don't mind that. Because all the best people are." Rae shrugged. "Night night." she hit Chad on the head with the frying pan, making him fall to the floor with a thud and his cronies ran to him and picked him up. Soon only Rae and open mouthed Ceci were left.

"Byeeee." Rae waved. "That'll teach them." she turned around to face Ceci. "Are you ok?" she asked, concern on her face.

"Yeah." Ceci replied softly. She stood up on shaky legs. "Why'd you do that?"

"Because I'm sick of sitting back and watching them walk all over you." Rae said gently. "It's not right."

"Thank you But why?" Ceci insisted. "Why now? And don't you have a reputation? And isn't your best friend my biggest bully? And..." Rae cut her off.

"Shush. I know. She's not a best friend. She's a toxic person." Rae sighed. "The truth is, I don't give a fuck about my reputation. I hate who I am. It's not me." she ran her fingers through her hair. "It's just... Audrey's difficult. And you don't deserve the way you're treated by her, by anyone. It's not right and it's time someone finally realised it."

"Well..." Ceci said awkwardly. "Thank you."

"You're welcome..." Rae sighed. "Sorry.. I just needed to get all of that off my chest."

"Well, I'm glad you did." Ceci smiled slightly. "I should probably go to my room."

"Let me walk you there." Rae suggested. "Just in case anyone tries anything with you."

"Um sure..." Ceci said nervously. The pair walked in silence until they got to Ceci's room.

"Well goodnight Cecilia." Rae smiled. "And don't be afraid to come say hi to me at lunch or in class." Before Ceci could reply, a shriek was heard.

"RAELYNN FITZHERBERT WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU DOING!" Audrey screamed from behind them. "EXPLAIN WHAT THIS IS RIGHT NOW AND TELL ME I HEARD WRONG WHEN I HEARD MY BEST FRIEND STANDING UP FOR HER!" Audrey screamed, a vein showing in her neck.

"Woah woah someone broke your dollhouse now didn't they?" Rae raised her eyebrows and crossed her arms. "Just doing what's right. And actually, I don't belong to anyone. So your whole 'my best friend' thing is invalid."

"HOW DARE YOU!" Audrey screamed "YOUR REPUTATION! EVERYTHING YOU HAVE WORKED FOR WILL BE RUINED! YOU WILL BE A NOBODY!"

"Reputation?" Rae laughed, turning fully to face Audrey. "See, you don't know me at all. I don't give a fuck about my reputation. I don't care if I've 'worked for it' or whatever. What I've realised is best for me isn't hiding behind this popular, perfect, prissy princess. It's being who I am, not who my toxic 'best friend'," she used air quotation marks, "Wants me to be."

"How dare you!" She shrieked. "YOU WILL REGRET THIS!" she stomped away.

"Bye princess." Rae waved. "Ugh."

"Well that was..." Ceci blinked rapidly. "Intense."

"Meh, it was nothing." Rae shrugged. "Just the truth."

"Well, thank you." Ceci said

"Don't mention it." Rae smiled. Ceci nodded.

"Well, goodnight..." she trailed off.

"Night." Rae nodded and turned away. "See you around."

"Yeah..." Ceci shut the door and slid down it. "Well. What a hectic day that was."