Seventeen

Rae, Ally and Ceci rushed back to their seats

"After that interruption we are back. This is a nail-biter folks. There's 47 seconds left on the clock. We're all tied up." the commentator's voice rang through. "The Sherwood Falcons two. The Fighting Knights two. What a game between Auradon's fiercest rivals! The teams get into their huddles and take up positions along the kill zone. Akiho! The dragoneers have been laying down a withering hail of fire."

"I hope Maddie's okay..." Ally said.

"She's tough. She'll get through the pain." Rae said.

"And since number 5 has been made to drop out... we are in need of a substitution."

"Who do you think they'll put in?" Ally questioned.

"No clue." Ceci said. The three girls watched from afar as Coach, Jay and Carlos were having a conversation.

"I think I have an idea." Rae said, nodding towards Carlos, Jay having a hand on his shoulder.

"Carlos? But he's so small compared to all the other players." Ally frowned. "He'll easily get hurt."

"I don't think... nope he's definitely going in." Ceci said as Carlos tried to sit back down only to be pulled up and tossed on the field instead. "He's from the Isle, he'll be fine. Plus, size doesn't matter."

"He looks like a lost puppy out on that field." Rae said.

"I'm sure he'll do just fine..." Ally trailed off, her eyes fixed on Carlos.

"He's bringing in that little guy Carlos in number 5's place. He can barely hold a shield!" the commentator announced.

"I feel bad for him..." Ally mumbled.

"Someone above better help him." Ceci muttered.

"This is gonna be a big moment here. And the tip-off is ready. Here we go. Long pass goes to Jay. Jay dishes off to prince Ben. Nice little block by Carlos." the commentator said as Carlos danced. "He does a little dancing jig in his opponent's face."

"What the fuck?" Rae laughed. "Why is he dancing?"

"Probably celebration." Ally said, her eyes still glued to Carlos.

"I've done weirder." Ceci shrugged.

"I think we both have, dear sister." Ally said as the ball flew towards Jay.

"And now Jay gets the ball back. Here comes Jay! Jay, hurdling manoeuvre at mid-field." the commentator continued.

"Woah he's a good player." Rae commented.

"Woah." Ceci echoed.

"Seems like Maddie has competition for best player." Rae said.

"Are you sure it's competition between those two?" Ally raised her eyebrows.

"Jay makes a nice pass to Prince Ben through the kill zone." the commentator interrupted the girls' conversation. "Big block by Chad! Prince Ben moves over wide, gives it to Chad. He's in the clear! Shot! Oh, what a Save by Phillip the Falcon's goalkeeper!"

"Maddie would've got that." Rae commented.

"And he says she's the bad player on the team." Ally said.

"When she was the one who got the second goal." Ceci said. "Wait wasn't he the one that knocked her down? How is he not out?"

"Because it was an accident." Ally said, though she seemed unsure in her words.

"Even I don't believe that, Al."

"I know." Ally sighed. "I don't believe it either."

"23 seconds left. You could cut the tension with a sword." the commentator continued. "The long ball is played into Jay. Jay, great jump, great leap. And a great move by Jay. Big block from Chad. Jay dishes off to Prince Ben. And then Carlos with a big block, goes down. Jay through the kill zone, picks up Carlos. Oh, he's being hammered by dragon fire. Still, going on. Jay, hurdling maneuver at mid-field. He's in the clear. The ball goes back to Jay."