Nineteen

"Well these days have been... interesting. I really appreciate you guys sticking by me." Elyse said in a rare moment of kindness. For the past couple of days, Cecilia, Raelynn, Autumn, and Ally had been inseparable from Elyse, keeping her busy from her mind wandering to a certain redhead. Maddie had not hung out with them and Elyse herself had not seen her at all for days, while the others had barely seen her.

"You can't get rid of meeeee, I'm your cousin." Autumn smiled. "And even if we weren't cousins you still wouldn't be able to get rid of me because you're an amazing friend too."

"We're not just going to abandon you Ely." Ally said.

"We're gonna be with you no matter what. And you accepted me into your friend group really quickly, which I didn't expect at all." Rae added.

"And they pretty much covered what I wanted to say." Ceci said sheepishly.

"At least we haven't seen her much." Ally shrugged.

"Uhhmmm." Rae pointed at the redhead approaching them. "Think again."

"Oh great..." Elyse grumbled. "You had to jinx it."

"I'm sorry." Ally muttered.

"Hey guys." Maddie said casually.

"Uh... hi." Rae said after a silence.

"Hey..." Autumn mumbled as Ally waved a little.

"Hi Maddie." Ceci said shyly.

"Hello..." Elyse said casually.

"You guys okay?" Maddie asked, raising her eyebrows. "You're quiet for once."

"Yep. Totally fine." Elyse said a bit harshly, which made Autumn glanced at her for a moment.

"It's all as good as Earl Grey tea here." Ally nodded quickly.

"We're great actually. Just don't want to get my mouth frozen again..." Autumn laughed awkwardly into another silence.

"Look, is this because I haven't been with you guys?" Maddie sighed.

"Partly." Ceci blurted out and then covered her mouth with her hands. Elyse sighed, but Autumn placed a hand on her arm under the table.

"I'm sorry, okay." Maddie sighed again. "I don't mean to 'abandon' you guys or whatever... you're my friends too."

"Well you did." said Elyse, standing up.

"Don't leave." Maddie said. "I'll leave." she started to walk away.

"Don't." Elyse shook her head. "I have to go to the bathroom." Maddie stopped walking and Autumn looked up at Elyse and mouthed 'Do you want me to come?' Elyse shook her head slightly, and left quietly.

"Well..." Ceci sighed.

"Guys what have I done?" Maddie asked. "Is this because I've been with Jay and the other VKs? Do you think I'm replacing you?"

"It's complicated... like trying to understand Wonderland talk." Ally said.

"How can the answers to two questions be complicated? It's literally yes or no answers." Maddie threw her hand out in frustration.

"Everything's fine. Elyse is just..." Autumn trailed off.

"PMSing." Rae finished.

Wonderland talk is a pain..." Ceci mumbled. "And you kind of are ditching us a bit... especially Autumn and Elyse." she said shyly.

"You did hang around with us every day... but it's kinda changed so quickly..." Autumn said quietly.

"And you've been with, uh, Jay." Rae added.

"Well I've tried to apologise haven't I? But she's just walked away." Maddie sighed. For the second time in the space of a week, she started to tear up. "I know I'm a shit friend and I knew I'd come back to this. I've just been distracted and... you know what it doesn't matter." she sighed and turned around.

"Well why don't you try to make up for it?" Ceci suggested, standing up and going behind Maddie, putting a hand on her shoulder. "You can't change the past but the future can be modified." Suddenly, the feeling of guilt overpowered her and her face paled.

"I don't know if I ever will make up for it. Elyse is right, I've abandoned you for a stupid boy." Maddie looked down at her feet, a tear rolling down her cheek. "It's not me... it's all because of a stupid boy."

"Ceci's right... you can make up for it you know." Rae said. "I know from experience." Ally noticed that Ceci was pale but didn't say anything. Autumn stood up as well.

"You know what Elyse is like... she can hold grudges." she shrugged. "You'll break that icy shield eventually." Ceci shook herself from her state.

"Yeah they're right. One can always make up for it."

"I wish I knew how." Maddie sighed and wiped her eyes. "Look at me. I'm crying. Again. Who am I?"

"You're Madison DunBroch." Ceci stated. "And you know inside how to make up for it."

"Thanks Ceci." Maddie smiled slightly.

"I'll go talk to Elyse." Autumn said, walking towards Maddie and placing a hand on her other shoulder. "You know she'll forgive you." she smiled before walking away.

"Time for me to avoid all male creatures. They change me too much." Maddie mumbled.

"They don't have to change you." Rae said. "You can still be Madison DunBroch."

"Well, I have to go do something." Ceci said picking up her bag. 'I have a male creature of my own to visit.' she thought.

"Okay?" Rae raised her eyebrows.

"See you later!" Ally waved.