Ten

The afternoon seemed to drag by. But, Elyse, Autumn, Maddie and Cecilia had all agreed to meet up after their last class. In fact, they practically begged her... well, Autumn did. The four of them were in a line: Ceci, then Autumn, then Elyse, then Maddie. Elyse seemed a little more on edge than usual and kept glancing at Maddie but no one really payed attention, but Maddie caught her a few times. Autumn was again rambling like usual.

"I'm so glad that days over. It took forEVER though. I mean I thought I was going to fall asleep or something but then Maddie made the chemicals explode and it was so fun and-"

"Do you ever shut up?" Maddie groaned.

"No. She doesn't." Elyse interjected.

"Wait please don't freeze my mouth again I hate it when you do it actually hurts please don't do it." Autumn rambled.

"I'm getting a headache." Maddie complained.

"How much does it hurt?" Ceci asked curiously.

"Do you want to find out?" Elyse said in a fake nice tone, putting her arm up.

"Not really." Ceci relented.

"I thought so. Good choice."

"El..." Maddie said, pushing Elyse's arm down.

"You don't want to find out. But it does hurt. A lot." Autumn said.

"What? She asked." Elyse said. "I was being sarcastic, jeez."

"It's okay." Ceci interjected. "She's right."

"I know but she hasn't done anything wrong." Maddie said. Autumn quickly interrupted.

"Guuuuuuuuuuuuuys! She- uh- we need to go to the tourney field!" she said, looking at her phone.

"That means I can 'accidentally' aim my arrows at someone's head." Maddie crossed her arms.

"I have homework, so I need to get going..." Ceci trailed off.

"No no no. You're coming with uuuusss." Autumn smiled.

"If you refuse I will literally carry you out there." Maddie said.

"Why do you really want me to go? You guys are acting weird." Ceci said. "Did someone out you up to this? Is Audrey or Chad waiting with a bucket of trash or something?"

"Is that how low you think of us?" Elyse scoffed.

"Elyseeee." Autumn said she then looked at Ceci. "Of course not, we actually like you."

"You really think I'd let Audrey boss me around the way I talked to her at lunch?" Maddie scoffed. "And Chad is scared of me so he wouldn't dare."

"You're right, I'm sorry." Ceci bowed her head.

"It's fine." Maddie patted Ceci's head.

"Come ooooonnn! Let's goooo." Autumn bounced, grabbing Ceci's arm with one hand and Elyse's with the other.

"Sorry Maddie!" Autumn said before she started to run, dragging Elyse and Ceci along with her.

"Fine by me." Maddie shrugged, starting to follow on.

"Why are you in such a hurry?" Ceci asked.

"Becauseeeeeeee." Autumn smiled. "You'll see." They soon reached the tourney field and Autumn lead them to one of the benches. "Let's sit here. Wait, where did Maddie go?"

"For these." Maddie appeared, jogging up to the three of them with her bow and arrows, a target under her arm.

"Run Autumn." Elyse warned, not taking her eyes off Maddie. "She never misses."

"Don't shoot me. Please." Autumn mumbled.

"I'm not that mean." Maddie rolled her eyes. "Thanks Elyse. But I did learn from the best." Maddie set up the target.

"You like her," Ceci whispered to Elyse who straightened up and looked away from Maddie. "Don't you?"

"What are you talking about?" Elyse looked at Ceci.

"Maddie." said Ceci. "You like her. As in like like her." Elyse looked like she was about to punch Ceci but then sighed.

"Am I that obvious?"

"No," Ceci replied. "I'm just good at noticing these kinds of things. But don't worry; I won't say anything." Ceci promised. For the first time in the whole day, a smile graced Elyse's face.

"Thank you." A noise of an arrow hitting the target distracted Ceci and Elyse from their conversation.

"I think that's the best shot I've ever done." Maddie said. She was completely oblivious to the conversation that Ceci and Elyse had just had.

"How can you have a best shot if you always get a bullseye?" Elyse called from the bleachers.

"That one was just even more accurate and directly on the bullseye." Maddie walked towards the arrow and pulled it out of the target. "They're all great shots if I do say so myself but that one just felt better."

"If you say so." Elyse shrugged. Maddie rolled her eyes and shot another arrow.

"There she issss!" Autumn tried to whisper as she noticed Raelynn running over to them, almost tripping over her own feet in the process.

"Oh Rae's here." Ceci said.

"Hi." Rae said, slumping down on the bleachers.

"Hiiiiiiiiiii." Autumn said excitedly. Maddie gave a wave before shooting another arrow.

"Raelynn, what a surprise." Elyse said in a sarcastic and bored tone.

"Hey Rae." said Ceci quietly. Autumn nudged Elyse with her elbow and furrowed her eyebrows.

"Hey C... wait, can I call you C?" Rae questioned.

"Yeah sure." Ceci nodded.

"Uh... how've you been?" Rae asked.

"Quite well. I made some friends today." Ceci smiled at the three girls she now considered her friends. "What about you?"

"Busy." Rae said. "But I'll explain later." Maddie walked over to them and dropped the bow at her feet. She sat down on the bleachers in between Autumn and Elyse.

"Busy. Uh huh." Maddie nodded. Elyse blushed a little and scooted over slightly.

"Uh, can we go for a walk guys? I don't like it here..." Rae looked around at Maddie, Elyse and Autumn.

"Of course!" Autumn nodded quite excitedly.

"I suppose." Maddie sighed, standing up and jumping onto the floor.

"Fine..." Elyse grumbled.

"I should go do my homework..." Ceci started.

"Homework can wait." Autumn quickly said.

"No, we can walk you back to your room." Rae said, shaking her head.

"Okay, thank you." Ceci said.

"Come on then." Maddie bounced ahead, slinging her bow over her shoulder. "The sooner we get there the sooner I can come back and practise." Elyse jumped down as well followed by her cousin and Ceci

"Let's go." Elyse nodded.

" Elyse nodded